We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

My future wife and I have decided we are going to Honeymoon in St. John in Oct of this year (2011). I have read both good and not-so-good things about both Caneel Bay and The Westin. There is also a significant difference in price, Westin 3 nights: $876.05 for a premium beachfront front room, no food included and Caneel Bay 3 nights: $2,748 for a beachfront room, 3 meals are included. If anyone has stayed at both and could give some insight as to the real "value" you receive for staying at Caneel, it would be appreciated. Yes, this is a Honeymoon and would like some privacy and I am willing to pay the additional amount because quality of beach, water and quiet is important but only if it could truly makes a difference in the experience. $2,000 can purcahse a lot of food and recreation.... Thanks for any and all help!

Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
1. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Caneel, hands down!

Parker, CO
reviews: 25
2. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

I vote for a compromise.

I just looked at 3 nights at Caneel in October. You can stay 3 nights there, breakfast included, for $1235 for a court-side room. You must be looking at their premo accomodations.

The compromise I would make..... I would choose Caneel, but not the room/package you are looking at.

I'd go with the Courtside room, free breakfast included, $1235. And then take that $1500 you just saved and wine and dine yourselves in town each night.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Very good point! Since I have never been and had read so many great reviews about the oceanview/beachfront rooms, it appeared that was the way to go. Sorry, just a lack of knowledge! Thanks!!

Peoria, IL
reviews: 11
4. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Definitely Caneel but do the package that includes breakfast but not the other meals.

I love to wake up and open the drapes and see the water so suggest Ocean view rooms! (or better).

Washington DC...
reviews: 27
5. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Westin is nice and has a lot of amenities but not a very pretty beach. If you are a beach person, stay at Caneel. Caneel is unlike any other place I have been. The most beautiful beaches (7 of them), landscaping, and a great place to relax and unwind. I would not do the food package as it is very expensive and you will have limited options. Go to Cruz Bay for dinner and enjoy the great food and bars there.

Another option is to stay at Westin and play at Caneel. You can stay at the Westin to save money but then venture to Caneel Bay Resort and use some of their beaches...not all of them are open to the public though. This is what I have done in the past.

If money is no issue, stay at Caneel!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
reviews: 85
6. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Definitely go with Caneel! I would do the breakfast option only, and go to Cruz Bay for dinner. Also, since it is your honeymoon and quality of beach is important to you, I recommend splurging on an ocean view or oceanfront room. My favorite beaches are Turtle and Scott. An end room on Scott would be ideal for a honeymoon, IMO. You will not regret it.

Parker, CO
reviews: 25
7. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

I'd like to add one more thing before you make your final choice. Have you looked at Gallows Point? I think it's better than the Westin. Not quite as good as Caneel. VERY romantic. Great location....you'll be able to walk to ALL of the restaurants. No beach, but a decent snorkeling platform right off the shore. It's very nice there!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
8. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Thank you for your insight! My thought was that we might not have access to the beaches if we stayed at Westin but if some are open to public then that may be a great option.

Edited: 12:21 pm, August 02, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
9. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

Thank you for your insight! My thought was that we might not have access to the beaches if we stayed at Westin but if some are open to public then that may be a great option.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
10. Re: Honeymoon: Westin verses Caneel Bay

I will look at Gallows Point and I greatly appredciate everyone's input on this! Thank you to everyone for helping!

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay
Recent Conversations