We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John - best bug repellant please!!

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
St John - best bug repellant please!!

What is the best bug repellent for St. John? I've tried off with deet & cutter and neither worked. I was chewed alive and returned with bites all over my body. (I've been back for 2 weeks and I'm still scratching one or two) My bf got only one bite. Is there a special concoction that keeps them away? Taking Vitamin B supplements for a few weeks? I can't wait to go back but next time I would like to be more prepared. Thanks!

31 replies to this topic
St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
1. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Get that Off Clip On. It creates a shield around you as long as you have it on. You can put it by your bed so as not to need smelly repellent. Buy lots of refill disks.

Boston
reviews: 18
2. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Are you sure they were mosquito bites and not no see um bites? They are different and I am not sure how great DEET works on the no see ums. The off clip on does not work for me, only Deep Woods Off does.

Boston...
3. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Thanks for your response! I think it was mostly the noseeums. If the clip on doesn't work not sure what else to do. I'll give it a try.

Boston...
4. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Thanks for your response! It seems to work for some people and not others. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks!

Boston
reviews: 18
5. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

If it is no see ums you need to make sure you are not at the beach during dawn and dusk and make sure you do not bring sand into your accommodation or you might bring them in with you.

Coral Bay, St. John
reviews: 22
6. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Made for St John biting bugs .... friendsvinp.org/made-in-the-vi/love-me-not-n…

Skinny Legs shops carry it. St John Spice in Cruz Bay. Friends of the VINP at Mongoose Junction.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
7. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

STJ is the only place I actually use DEET for the noseeums. I hate putting the poison on but it works darn it.

bethesda, md
reviews: 1
8. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

We used Love me not on our trip last december and it worked great, no bites. It's oily and i'd be careful about getting it on clothing but it was great not using heavy duty chemicals.

Princeton, New...
reviews: 15
9. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

Google bug bam. I'm going to try them on my upcoming trip. I also use the OFF clip on and cutter wipes.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 7
10. Re: St John - best bug repellant please!!

I agree.. we hate putting deet on our skin but the only thing that works is repel w deet. It comes in an aerosol can. We use it in the evenings when we go out but after we are back we wash it off. If we have to use something during the day for mosquitoes off works fine or the off towelettes.

My wife's skin reacts badly to the bites badly. But repel with deet seems to work the best and she only uses it on her legs.

Reply to: St John - best bug repellant please!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted