We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bayfield, WI
reviews: 2
Rental car insurance

We plan on renting a vehicle while on SJ. Our car insurance does not cover foreign travel. Thus far, I am not impressed with the coverage offered by the rental companies as most just seem to offer CDW with a high deductible with no or very little liability coverage. I have read that credit card companies offer coverage but my Discover and Bank of America just offer secondary CDW but at no cost. Our travel insurance coverage offers CDW only. My main concern is a liability claim. We have good Umbrella liability coverage and our insurance company is checking into how/if that would apply, any gaps in coverage, etc.

Does this mean that there are many drivers on SJ without adequate insurance coverage?

Other than finding an insurance company that offers foreign travel, which I really don't want to do, does anyone have suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Holliston, MA
reviews: 18
1. Re: Rental car insurance

I would discuss this issue with your insurance agent, they are most familiar with your policies and what they cover. Also, I wonder if you asked your agent the right question. My auto insurance does not provide coverage in foreign countries, but it does cover the United States, it's territories and possessions (STJ is a territory or possession of the US).

Boston
reviews: 18
2. Re: Rental car insurance

STJ is not a foreign destination. It is a US territory, not a foreign country and many insurance reps do not understand this. My policy covers me in the USVI and many others are too. You should ask them again. Also, you are correct about the liability issue, there is often a gap in coverage with people believing their cc covers them or with the policy offered by the rental company.

If you have good insurance at home and an umbrella policy there still may be loss of use with the rental car that you should look into.

New Jersey
reviews: 7
3. Re: Rental car insurance

Our insurance agent at first told us we were not covered but I informed them that this was a US territory and to chech with underwriter at insurance co. We were covered. As for umbrella coverage that is over top of your underlying coverage , therefor you are not covered until the loss exceeds the underlying limits of liability of your primary auto, home etc. Policy. No underlying. Coverage would be a problem.

As for loss of use, the rental co should have commercial insurance with loss of use coverage on their vehicles being primary but unfortunately they probably try to transfer this risk to the renter via the lease agreement read your rental contract very carefully.

Edited: 9:22 am, February 01, 2014
McLean, VA
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
reviews: 9
4. Re: Rental car insurance

I've looked into rental car insurance for myself and friends in the past. My car insurance provides primary insurance in the United States, including territories, for liability and collision. The credit card I use provides primary insurance for theft and collision. Loss of use seems to be a gap, but the rental agencies that I use do not call loss of use out on their rental agreements, Looking at my credit card travel protection, I did not realize that it includes travel insurance for up to $10K.

Over 30+ trips we've had a bumper scrape and a broken light at Amalie and Conrad Sutton. We were not charged for either. One of our friends was in head-on collision in the rain near Caneel Bay. That was a bit more of an ordeal.

Cheers, RickG

Reply to: Rental car insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted