We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Cook

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
reviews: 4
Villa Cook

We will be on St. John (Cruz Bay) for 11 days in January, I'm not a big cook but don't want to eat out every night either. Can anyone give me a suggestion for an in-villa cook? I'm not looking for a professional chef experience (not that fancy or expensive), but someone to cook rather simply, maybe 3 nights for 4 people.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Villa Cook

Gosh. That is a professional chef your talking about. It's expensive. Are you thinking about having a non-professional chef come, like a local without any culinary experience who just likes to cook?

Cincinnati
reviews: 6
2. Re: Villa Cook

FOR SURE use

ted's supper club

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
3. Re: Villa Cook

Mathayom

He is amazing!

http://stjohncatering.com/

Check out the Homestyle chef option, less expensive than the traditional private chef offerings

Edited: 2:30 pm, November 06, 2013
McLean, VA
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
reviews: 5
4. Re: Villa Cook

Second Mathayom. St. John is not like Jamaica where you can easily find a cook and a maid for your house. There are also more dining options closer by than Jamaica.

Cheers, RickG

Smithfield, Rhode...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Villa Cook

I've used Katilady and Mathayom on several occasions, although they are private chefs and tend toward higher priced end of the spectrum. We usually treat ourselves one night with an in villa private chef, it is so much fun and the food preparation is excellent.

I know you mentioned not being a cook, but did you give any thought to preparing a couple of very simple meals at home, freezing and bringing them along? We do this and makes our time in the villa nice and easy. This summer I brought along chicken cutlets cooked and ready to turn into chicken parm along with meatballs and frozen pasta sauce.

Also, don't over think your meals, we grilled several evenings and accompanied it with a nice tossed salad. We had taco night which was another quick and easy meal.

Cocktail hour is nice with some cheese and crackers, spreads, etc. so no need to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Enjoy!

Edited: 2:46 pm, November 06, 2013
Pennsylvania
reviews: 14
6. Re: Villa Cook

Sam and Jack's Deli has take away meals and you put in an order ahead of time.

New York City, New...
7. Re: Villa Cook

Yes, I second Sam and Jack's. They have gourmet dinners/soups and lots more already packaged. You just bring them back and heat them up. You can even buy them in the morning, leave them in your kitchen and as soon as you get back from beach, it's waiting for you.

Louisiana
reviews: 4
8. Re: Villa Cook

Thanks for all the leads! Sandy358, you freeze items and pack in an ice chest with dry ice or something?

Smithfield, Rhode...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Villa Cook

Yes, we have a rolling ice cooler (Igloo, I believe it's 42 quarts) that we check as baggage with our frozen items. We fly JetBlue so it goes for free.

I freeze everything, you cannot use dry ice on a plane, just freeze the items and they will remain frozen until you arrive, I've done this for 9 years and never had an issue, even had to spend a night in Puerto Rico a couple of years ago because we came into Hurricane Irene and all my items were still frozen.

Ohio
10. Re: Villa Cook

I also believe that StarFish market has some prepared meals that can be purchased? That's another option.

We have used a rolling cooler in the past as well as POLAR BEAR COOLER for freezing meats, etc. and checked them thru. We usually travel on Delta or American and have free checked bags. Half the fun of vacation is the planning, and for us it's also what we are going to take along for some of our meals.

Reply to: Villa Cook
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted