We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tip

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 18
Best Tip

Planning is half the fun....so here it goes. Been reading up on the forum and looking forward to checking this one off my "bucket list". Please share your best St John tip for this newbie. Best beach, best happy hour, the one thing not to forget to pack, etc. You know the one thing that you wish someone had told you before your first trip. Thanks a bunch! :)

47 replies to this topic
Okemos, Michigan
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best Tip

Skinny Legs!

Miami Beach, Florida
2. Re: Best Tip

But ALL food in the frig to avoid ants.

USA
reviews: 18
3. Re: Best Tip

You are so quick and the best! Yes, Skinny Legs is on the list and learned the hard way about the ants while in the Keys! Thank you, please keep the tips coming. :)

Conway, AR
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best Tip

Cheap appetizers during Happy Hour at Spy Glass and the Tap Room!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
5. Re: Best Tip

My favorite "must do each trip"! (hike and beaches): Lind Point Trail to Salomon, then a hop to Honeymoon, then a skip to Caneel for sushi! Taxi back to Cruz Bay for drinks at the Beach Bar :)

My favorite happy hour: (Formerly Iguana Grill) The Across the Street Bar and Grill. Great people watching and appetizers, a few cold beers before dinner!

My favorite charter: Captain John with Palm Tree

My fave restaurants: Rhumb Lines, Lime Inn, Driftwood David's, Cafe Roma

SKINNY LEGS! Great painkillers and Bushwackers. Sitting there really reminds you that you're away from it all.

Tips:

Avon's Skin So Soft to prevent the no-see-um bites

soft-sided cooler (Polar Bear) for beach and dinghy days

grab sandwiches for beach-day cooler from Sam and Jack's or Deli Grotto

don't over pack clothes and shoes- STJ is very casual and I never wear everything I pack!

don't bring sandy towels or shoes into your villa (if you have an outdoor shower, rinse shoes and snorkel gear there to avoid sand flees from getting inside). ***Can you tell we had some major bites one trip?!!

Enjoy your first trip! It will not be your last! :)

Havre de Grace...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Best Tip

Take 10 minutes each morning and write a quick journal of what you did the day before. You will be glad you did once your vacation is over.

Other than that, smile, relax and enjoy. Don't stress if you don't get to do everything that you think you want to. That is what a return trip is for!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
7. Re: Best Tip

Before you go, make a list of the things that you would like to do on your trip.

Each morning, over coffee (or mimosas) pick one or two things and set out on your daily adventure. You will not likely get to everything but it will be much more relaxing than over planning an over-ambitous itinerary.

Wisconsin
8. Re: Best Tip

Zip lock bags

McLean, Virginia
reviews: 23
9. Re: Best Tip

I wish I realized before our trip that the cost of buying quality provisions to make your own meals is not much less than eating out if it's just one or two of you. Sam and Jack's is the best for "to go" lunches (one sandwich easily feeds two!)

Do a day trip to BVI (highlight of our trip earlier this year)

Be mindful of the sun - it is stronger than the Florida sun, very easy to burn to the crisp in no time. I wore a t-shirt almost the entire time in the water - not something I've ever done before, but it was one of the best tips I got out of the Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive book, which is a must read before your trip!

Have the best time!!

Alabamastan
reviews: 1
10. Re: Best Tip

Best tip (and It's almost a mantra): bring half the clothes and twice the cash.

If you like snorkeling I've had good luck spotting turtles at Maho bay.

Be generous with the sunscreen!

If it rains, go drink a beer (or the adult beverage of your choice). The rain should be over by the time you finish. If not, that's a good excuse to have another beer.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

-Sandy

Reply to: Best Tip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted