We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Hi, I have heard that Cruz Bay has 2 convenient ATM machines at 2 banks. Does anyone know what the fees are to use them? I know that Visa and MC can charge an additional % depending on the bank where your debit card was issued, but I am wondering what the fee is for the transaction. I've heard $3.50 and other amounts but those posts are a bit old.

Thanks!

McLean, VA
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
reviews: 9
1. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

I've never received any foreign transaction fees in the USVI. I have had my ATM card shut off after using an ATM on Virgin Gorda. I need to remember to call my bank before traveling.

Cheers, RickG

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
2. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

I ended up with a total of about $15 in fees on a $100 withdrawal at the ATM on the corner a half-block from the Lime Inn. I don't know what bank it is, and I don't know what the breakdown of fees was, but I won't be getting money there again.

north carolina
3. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Well, I found out that Visa and MC charge 2% of the cash amount and then the bank charges a fee on top of that. So it's not a foreign transaction which some people refer to when they are talking about the currency exchange but it would be the fee that a bank charges that is not your home bank if you do a withdrawal, typically here it's $3. The transaction fee is whatever the amount is that shows up when you start the process at the ATM (comes up on the screen). The key is to have a debit card that won't charge those fees. Some banks will absorb that percentage and others tack more onto it! So if MC or Visa charges you 2% your bank may tack on another 1-2% and that can add up quickly.

Needing to know the fee BEFORE the percentage from Visa or MC. So, if anyone has been lately and saw what the screen says, that's the amount I'm looking for! thx all!

Virginia Beach
reviews: 15
4. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Bank of America says that Scotia Bank is a partner and they don't charge fees for ATM withdrawals for customers. I called customer svce. before my trip and asked that they note on my account that they told me this prior to my trip, just in case. Ended up not needing to use the machine. But I suggest you ask your bank, at the same time tell them you are traveling so that you dont get hassles like Rick did. With so many scams and fraud happening, it's worth the call.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
5. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

I seem to remember $4 at Scotia Bank in February. I used my debit card so it worked just like an ATM card with no other charges. Honestly, I never even paid much attention to it, so my number could be wrong, in the scheme of vacation I didn't worry about a one time charge.

Boston
reviews: 18
6. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Scotia Bank is a partner for BofA, with no ATM fees, but only in their home country of Canada. The 'free withdrawal' deal is only valid for Scotia bank withdrawals using your BofA ATM card in Canada. The same is true of all of their international partners.

There is no foreign transaction fee on an ATM withdrawal, but if you use a credit card instead of an ATM, it is considered a cash advance and the cash advance fees will apply which are usually 3%. Getting a cash advance on a cc is usually the most expensive way to get money.

north carolina
7. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Saffie 11, You are right, if you use a credit card then you will be charged really high percentages (more than 3%) as it is considered a cash advance and carries different repayment schedules. BUT ALL debit cards are typically backed by Visa or MC (whatever is on the front of your card). So, you home bank might be Main St Bank with a debit card backed by Visa. Using that card at Great Bank USA will work but Great Bank charges you an atm usage/transaction fee of $3.50. Using your Main St Bank card in St John will work because it is based by Visa, but Visa charges Main St Bank 1-2% for that money so Main St Bank passes that onto you PLUS the $3.50 (or whatever) fee. Now, some banks will eat that 1-2% and SOME charge an additional % on TOP of that.

So, I've talked to a few banks here at home and am learning all about this. And, yes you really need to tell whatever debit AND credit card company that you will be on vacation, and not just far away or they will shut off your card.. which is a good thing!

Now, I have found out that one of my banks' debit card backed by MC charges 2% of the amount if used as a debit card AND for purchases! So, it really makes sense to talk to your bank first.

What I need to know if the island side of things. If Scotia bank charges $10 transaction fee or is it more reasonable? I agree with Tinkerbelldee that some small fee is not worth worrying about. I'm doing my homework on the other side of things before leaving.

For those that want to know: Capital One MC does NOT charge any fees or % for purchases out of the US, but if you use that credit card for a cash/atm withdrawal you are hit with 6.9% interest on the money and it has to be paid back quickly AND they charge a $10 fee or 3% for the using the machine! So, every bank has different policies when it comes to how they handle the Visa and MC fees.

I hope all this is helpful to others and not too confusing!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
8. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

I have never had a charge from an ATM transaction other than the fee when using a debit card on STJ. No matter what bank my debit card is from.

I have never used a CC to get cash from an ATM.

" For those that want to know: Capital One MC does NOT charge any fees or % for purchases out of the US,"

Remember that you will not be out of the US on STJ.

north carolina
9. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

Tinkerbelldee, unfortunately, there are banks that consider the USVI as OUTSIDE the US. I don't know why, but that is what they told me. It might be different for different home banks, but both of mine told me it was consider outside of the US. Though to be honest, one of the customer service reps did not seem very knowledgeable.

Obviously some do charge and some do not. wpsaukee above must have been for a $15 charge on $100 withdrawal!

I guess it's all about call your bank, call the number on the back of the card (MC or Visa) to be sure.

10. Re: ATM fees, St John, Scotia bank?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2014