We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide,please!

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hot springs, ar
reviews: 3
Help me decide,please!

So I was originally planning on our family of 3 doing a half day sail around St John and another day taking the ferry to the Baths BVI.

But now wondering if I should just do a full day on the Bad Kitty that goes to The Baths & to Jost Van Dyke? It costs $60 more for our family of 3 than the original plan.

I see such beautiful pics of Jost Van Dyke that I wonder if I should be sure to go there?

Another day my husband & 16 yr old will be doing snuba at Trunk Bay. I'm a bit claustrophobic so I will just be hanging out at Trunk Bay while they are snuba-ing.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 16
11. Re: Help me decide,please!

I have been to White Bay/Jost 8+ times and have taken my son (now 8yo) since he was 4yo and never encountered anything that made me cringe. All my trips were in high season and the area around the Soggy Dollar was full of people partying but nothing out of control.

I haven't been on Bad Kitty but as it relates to group boats overall, I haven't heard any stories of the hard partying like I encountered in, for example, Cancun. It isn't in the captain and crews best interest to have overly intoxicated or sick passengers. Friends of ours went out with Stormy Petrel in February and they didn't mention any excessive drinking.

We like to party a bit and do enjoy bar hopping at White Bay and you can certainly enjoy it without drinking but, and no doubt I will irritate some people by saying this, as pretty as White Bay is, I don't think you are missing anything by not seeing it. STJ has beaches that are as nice but without the bars.

I have been to the Baths twice, once on a Caneel trip and once when we stayed on VG. It is a very striking attraction. I remember the area around the Baths as full of dingies and other boats and I didn't like swimming there and would not snorkel. Maybe it was the time of year.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 3
12. Re: Help me decide,please!

If you go through the caves at The Baths and when you come out proceed through the rocks to Devil's Bay, you'll find some decent snorkeling which gets better the further out you swim/snorkel. Here's the thing, there are signs on the other side of the caves that tell you not to go back through the caves after 4:30pm. If you miss going back through, it's quite a climb back up to the road from Devil's Bay.

Which is okay as long as you don't leave anything in the lockers before you enter the caves. Because if you do,you'll have to walk back down and the walk back up. I'm a pretty fit person but after going through the caves,snorkeling climbing back up to the road, it was more than a notion to go back down to the lockers and come back up.

Going to The Baths is one of the most unique experiences in the Caribbean!! You're teenager will enjoy it and never forget it! ;~>

Nassau, New...
13. Re: Help me decide,please!

Get your teenager an u/w camera (a disposable one with a flash is fine) - they'll really enjoy all the pics you can take with it, even if it's never even one of a fish!!! :)

Weymouth...
14. Re: Help me decide,please!

My family of 4 (two boys ages 9 &10) will be taking the Bad Kitty on July 17th for the full-day excursion to the Baths, Norman Island, the Indian, White Bay, and wherever lunch is. Bad Kitty was recommended to us by another family with young kids. The kids were begging to go back, so I figure it has to be a good day.

I am not thrilled about a boat containing up to 28 passengers, but you can't beat the price. A private charter to the Baths costs $600 for the boat and then even more $$ for the fuel--and they don't necessarily include a bathroom, breakfast, open bar, and snorkel gear.

Regarding the alcohol--In all my years going to St. John, I've never experienced any excessive drinking by vacationers. Not to mention, no sane person would want to get intoxicated on a full-day excursion at sea.

Do the trip! My first trip to St. John I was 15. I've been going back ever since. In fact, I met my husband on that first trip!

St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 1
15. Re: Help me decide,please!

FYI - the alcohol portion of the bar on Bad Kitty does not open until after the snorkel stop

Pia

Chicago, Illinois
16. Re: Help me decide,please!

When we took our excursion on bad kitty there were two boys on the boat with us near the age of yours and they had an amazing time and the staff were great with them, answering all their questions, giving them plenty of attention, and helping them when they needed it. Bad kitty was one of the highlights of our trip!

St. John
reviews: 8
17. Re: Help me decide,please!

I'm a resident of St John so hope this info will help you.

The Bad Kitty is a very well run excursion and The Baths are a cool thing to see once. The boat can handle up to around 25-32 people, so you might want to inquire the # of people they have booked for your date/or select a date with fewer people as its not as much fun on a packed boat.

As an alternative you might want to consider Capt Kevin of CopelandBoatCharters.com - just took his boat with 3 people two days ago. This will cost you a little more (gas $120-150) but you will be able to set your own itinerary - if you find a spot you like, hang out. If you're not into the bar scene and like to snorkel, here's a suggested itinerary:

Snorkel the " Indians" named by Christopher Columbus because the rock outcroppings look like 3 Indians in a canoe. Most will tell you this is the best snorkeling they have seen - fish and coral abound! Tip: bring a bag of frozen peas and you will see even more fish!

Then head to the "Aquarium" another great snorkel spot near Norman island. Huge coral and more fish.

Afterwards go to Pirates Byte for lunch - just remodeled, nice clean/driftwood feel restaurant. Suggest the Chicken Roti (Local island favorite) and the Wahoo smoked salad...both excellent!

Then head over to Sandy Spit - neat little island outcropping all beach. This is where they shot the Corona commercial years ago with the one palm tree with the ornament hanging off it - in the middle of the ocean.

Then if you want you can head to white bay just to check it out before going back to St John.

Happy travels! Island Mike

Nassau, New...
18. Re: Help me decide,please!

IslandMike - enjoyed reading about your day out!

How long did it / would it take to get from Pirate's Byte to Sandy Spit?

Sandy Spit is gorgeous - reminds me of the (very!) gorgeous Sandy Cay near Rose Island/Nassau... http://www.gilligansisle.com/sandycay.html ...!!!

Edited: 11:47 am, July 07, 2013
Minneapolis
reviews: 5
19. Re: Help me decide,please!

"Snorkel the " Indians" named by Christopher Columbus because the rock outcroppings look like 3 Indians in a canoe. Most will tell you this is the best snorkeling they have seen - fish and coral abound! Tip: bring a bag of frozen peas and you will see even more fish!"

Frozen peas? What do you do with the frozen peas?

20. Re: Help me decide,please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2014