We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Do I need to rent a car?

Our original plan was to only rent a car maybe 2 or 3 days of our 6 night stay on st john since we are staying within walking distance to Cruz Bay at Garden by the Sea B&B. I want to explore the north shore beaches as well as check out Salt Pond and Lameshur. I originally thought it would be cheaper to take a cab to the north shore beaches and visit the south shore on the days we have our rental but after looking at the taxi rates I am not so sure now. Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.. thank you!

Dallas, TX
reviews: 2
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Definitely recommend getting the car the whole time...there are certainly plenty of neat things to do in and around Cruz Bay and cabs will work to the main beaches on the North Shore (Trunk and Cinnamon), but I'm pretty sure you'll find that you want the freedom and flexibility to go anywhere you want on the island on each of your six days.

McLean, VA
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
reviews: 9
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Frank Bay is a fun spot with reef shoes on. Salomon and Honeymoon Bays are hikeable. But, you'll get a lot more out of your stay with wheels. Its easy to hit multiple beaches per day with wheels.

Cheers, RickG

Smithfield, Rhode...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Definitely keep the car for the entire time you are there. There are days we don't even move out of the villa, but I like knowing there's a car if I need to go somewhere.

Also, you may want to go back to a beach/restaurant/bar in Coral Bay area and having the car at your disposal will give you that freedom.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
4. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

If you want to go to more than 1 beach in a day, then it will likely be smarter to rent an SUV for the entire trip and save multiple taxi fares.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 4
5. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Agreed. Get the jeep for your entire stay. You won't be sorry.

6. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Get the jeep you won't be sorry

Ron

Little Rock...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I'm the contrarian here. I have only been to St. John once and we did rent a jeep for the entire time we were there. However, it sat in the garage for several of the days we were there. We spent a day doing the Reef Bay hike with the National Park Service, a day on an outing to Jost Van Dyke, and a day renting a dinghy to explore the North shore beaches. So we had no need for a jeep those three days. We stayed at Grande Bay so we could walk to plenty of restaurants and did not need to drive. We could have spent another day without a jeep by walking to Salomon and Honeymoon and exploring more of Cruz Bay, but unfortunately we ran out of time before we were able to do this. So my recommendation would be to decide what you want to do while you are there. If you will be doing things that don't require a Jeep for several days, then there's no reason to pay for one. They are pretty pricey, by the way! Our next trip, we plan to only rent a Jeep for a few of the days. And, of course, there will be a next time. Like everyone else who goes, we are hooked! We hope to make a second trip this fall. I know lots will be closed, but the up side is that there are fewer crowds and rates are down. Can't wait!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
8. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I used to live at Garden by the sea. You will not want to walk back at night. It is not unsafe, it is just long after dinner and drinks.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Yea we didn't have a jeep last year and it was a hassle. I like to soak up the whole island so we are getting a jeep this year. Its nice to go where you want.

10. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 19, 2014