We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
reviews: 19
snorkeling

I recently heard from a friend who visited St John a few years ago that the snorkeling quality in her opinion had deteriorated since her last visit. I want to make sure I pick a destination with top notch snorkeling. Is the coral dying off and showing abuse, or is there still high quality snorkeling in St John?

Norristown...
reviews: 3
11. Re: snorkeling

I think the beauty of snorkeling on St. john lies in the sheer variety of opportunities. We have been going to St. john for the last 20 years, and we have seen the damage, but...and it's a big but...I continue to be amazed almost every time I put my face in the water. For example, the coral at Jumbie Bay hasn't been looking so good the last few times we were down, but we played with an octopus for a good 5 minutes on one trip, and on another got up real close with a big Trunk fish in the shallows on the left side by the big rocks. We were among those lucky enough to see the big Manta ray in Francis last year. And of the 15+ islands we've been to, I can think of few spots that match Leinster Bay/Waterlemon Cay - you get seagrass with turtles & rays on the inner bay and fantastic colors and corals - and more starfish than I've ever seen - out around the cay. We're checking out Roatan this year (in just a few weeks) and we're going for the snorkeling, but you can bet my primary point of comparison will still be the Jewel of the Caribbean. Keep in mind that I only touched on 3 North shore examples - I didn't even get to the East End & South Shore spots.

12. Re: snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 29, 2014