We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
reviews: 67
favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

Any one care to share favorite local recipes or how you cook local vegetables while on the island. We are there this weekend. We eat in every other night.

western NY
reviews: 32
1. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

I did a search here, but couldn't find Julie's previous recommendations. I hope she pops in here for ya!

Indiana
2. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

I did the search too and couldn't find anything. Thanks Minde!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
3. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

I've had breadfruit "chips" with hummus that was really good, but you don't find breadftuit in many markets.

Most local vegetables are just boiled and used as sides of incorporated into soups or stews.

Tania is a good substitute for potatoes. Local pumpkin is good steamed or boiled until soft and then adding sugar, and or cinnamon/nutmeg to taste. You can also cook it in coconut milk for added flavor.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 4
4. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

Here's a copy paste from an old post :) This is great with the local sweet potatoes (they are purple/white in color) Throw them on the grill way ahead of the fish. They take a while to cook. Just cook the potatoes until they are black and charred on the outside, but are tender when poked with a fork on the inside. Just cut them in half and eat out the center. They are wonderful!

If you want to try how a lot of the locals eat fish, this is how you would do it....

Smaller fish are cooked whole. Thoroughly clean the fish with Key Limes (or just regular limes if you can't find the key limes) and water. Just rub them down really good in a bowl of water using a half lime.

After they are clean, drain the water out, slightly score the sides of the fish into the flesh a little bit, not to the bone. Liberally season with Adobo (readily available at the stores here or at St. John Spice) rubbing all over the fish. Let sit for at least 30 minutes (or up to several hours in the fridge).

Slice up some onion, green/red pepper, garlic, and potatoes.

Now you will want to place each fish in it's own piece of foil, big enough piece to make a packet. Put a few pats of butter on the fish, some veggies, and a sprig of fresh thyme. Fold the foil up to make a packet, but leave one end open a little bit so you can pour in a tablespoon or two of water. After you put the water in, fold up the rest of the way.

Throw on grill, then enjoy! Cook time depends on the size of the fish.

Indiana
5. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

Thank you, St JohnJulie,

We did the fish like this last year and loved it! I will try the potatoes this year. We raise our own sweet potatoes at home so I am interested to taste the difference.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
6. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

I think you will like them! They are not like a yam, and not really like a regular potato either. When you pick them out in the store, the brighter purple/white in color are the better ones. And if you do them on the grill (by far my favorite way) you want to be sure to pick larger potatoes about the same size. The outside becomes very black, but the inside is yummy! They usually have them at Pine Peace, Dolphin, and Starfish. Here is a link to a photo of them, although they do come in many different sizes, in this photo they are all pretty uniform and small. cirad.fr/var/…page-64_lightbox.jpg

Cruz Bay, St. John
7. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

This is a great collection of local recipes my good friend Gretchen Labrenz has put together. Check in at St. John Spice I'm sure they carry it.

amazon.com/St-John-Style-Gretchen-Labrenz/dp…

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
8. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

Thanks for the link, Captain!

western NY
reviews: 32
9. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

So no foil wrapped around the potatoes? Just put the whole potato on the grill and wait? 45 minutes seem about right?

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
10. Re: favorite local recipes and how to cook local vegetables

You got it! No foil. The whole outside layer will be black, but when you cut it in half, you can just scoop out the inside and eat it. Cook time will depend on size. When you do it like this, you can count on the whole outside 1/4 inch to be inedible, and the rest of it to be delicious!