We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you get out of water on rock beach?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
reviews: 5
How do you get out of water on rock beach?

This is not just an abstract question - I'm currently stuck in Kiddell Bay and would like some help gettin out. Okay, I exaggerate. I did finally emerge from the water using the following method: (1) swim up as close to the shore as possible, remove my fins, mask, and snorkel and hurl them over the breaking waves onto dry rocks. (2) wallow over the ledge of small rocks separating the shallows from the deep water and get my feet under me. (3) grab the cane my husband is helpfully waving in my direction, pull it out of his hands, and use it to stand up on the slippery little rocks (4) leaning on the cane and swearing, wince my way over the rocks until I get out of the breaking waves and into my flip flops. I

There must be a better way. How do other people do it? Note that I didn't have much trouble getting in: just kind of leaped and rolled over the entry rocks into deep water carrying my fins and put them on out there. And the snorkeling was a blast. I used my new weight belt w 4 pounds of weight to dive down and look at fishies eye to eye. So it's not that I don't know how to snorkel, I just don't know how to stop!

Any tips from you snorkel gurus?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
1. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

My solution is to pick one of the countless other beautiful beaches with great snorkeling which have easy sand access to the water. If for some reason you simply must pick a beach with rocky access, I suppose you could wear heavy hiking boots into and out of the water, switching them for your fins when in the water and then slinging them around your neck in preparation for the exit maneuver...

Did you take a video you could post somewhere?

western NY
reviews: 32
2. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

LOL!!! That's too funny!

My exit isn't graceful or very comfortable, but I get in shallow water, sit on my butt and back out. Yeah, it looks awful, but it works!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
3. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

Doesn't your bum get scraped up though?

cherry hill
reviews: 198
4. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

We always use ankle high neoprene scuba booties and open heal fins. for the rocks. makes it much easier.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 16
5. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

I am not a fan of rocky water entries and exits, i hate the way the rocks roll under my feet. I have had enough ungraceful exits that i just dont do it anymore. In Feburary, my husband fished two older snorkellers out of the water because they simply could not gain enough traction to climb out over the rocks.

Like a previous poster mentioned, my 60 yo mom has those booties and she says it makes all the difference.

Hampton, New...
reviews: 3
6. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

Use your hands to assist with your balance. Don't try to do it all with just your feet. Also, watch the waves behind you...

Edited: 8:07 am, September 26, 2012
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
7. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

Question: "How do you get out of water on rock beach?"

My answer: "Painfully!"

In all seriousness ... For our next visit in February, I am taking neoprene booties and - maybe - gloves.

Minneapolis
reviews: 5
8. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

STTRes, we are staying in a villa within walking distance of 2 gorgeous but rocky snorkeling bays (and we aren't that crazy about Salt Pond) so we haven't given up on the rocky entries. We sort of took your suggestion about the combat boots; we remembered that our walking sandals are waterproof. Husband has a hard time getting fins on due to flexibility issues, so he just wore his sandals into the water and snorkeled close to shore without fins. That meant that we had one person who could walk out over the rocks and fetch the water sandals for the other person (me). Also, we found a better entry point on the right side of the beach with a patch of sand just under the water at the shoreline.

It's really a gorgeous little bay with big fish everywhere, no need to swim off to the rocks at the side. I now realize that the downside of the nice sand beaches is that you have to swim over boring sand for a long way to get to any fun stuff. I like the way this beach drops off immediately to about 4 feet of water with all sorts of stuff going on. I also appreciated the chance to practice my free diving without going too far from shore. I saw a turtle with one front flipper missing, some big queen parrot fish, and a scrawled filefish. Kiddell was my new favorite beach until I saw the shark. Now it's been demoted. Maybe I'll move over to Grootpan.

cherry hill
reviews: 198
9. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

take a fanny pack into the water, wear the sandals and enter the water. when you get deep enough, take the sandals off and put them in the fanny pack. then put the fins on.

for St Johns snorkeling we use the booties and open healed travel fins which are shorter and lighter. won't help you now, however, unless you found a scuba store

Indiana
reviews: 67
10. Re: How do you get out of water on rock beach?

You have me laughing as I am reading this. I have had so many ungraceful exits. Last year we bought the neoprene socks and that has helped alot. I still have slipped on my butt though. Kiddle and Grootpan are definitely worth the effort IMHO.This June when we were there with our family it was so calm we wish we would of snorkeled all the way from Kiddle over to grootpan and have someone pick us up. Thus it would only involve one exit.