We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterlemon Cay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
reviews: 52
Waterlemon Cay

First trip to St John in July> Do I snorkel Waterlemon Cay Clockwise or counterclockwise to minimize current on return trip?

Michigan
reviews: 18
1. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Counterclockwise! Best snorkeling EVER!!! Don't forget your underwater camera!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
2. Re: Waterlemon Cay

You won't be disappointed!

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 8:53 am, June 01, 2012
Saint Paul...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Make sure you have a snorkel buddy. If anyone in your snorkel group is not a great swimmer, it is worth having a snorkel vest. Have a great time!

San Antonio, Texas
4. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Best snorkeling of our trip...the sea fans are beautiful!...and then sit on the little key to relax afterwards...what a blast!...and yes, counterclockwise!

Athens, Ohio
5. Re: Waterlemon Cay

We think it's the best, very best snorkel spot we've ever done (of several in Caribbean) and we also did counterclockwise. A bit of current on far side of cay, but not enough to worry about. Always go with buddy & use vest if you like. I think the current is just enough to keep water clarity/sea life in perfect balance! Water is calm enough to easily stay in place on right and left sides of cay, and the gulls will share the sandy spit with you at the end of the loop for a rest & "wow" chat.

cherry hill
reviews: 180
6. Re: Waterlemon Cay

see my previous post. make sure there the water is flat at the bay where you start walking the trail. otherwise, it could mean a current when you get closer to the cay. this happened to me and my snorkel vest was not helpful. i made a big mistake of going alone.

NC
reviews: 10
7. Re: Waterlemon Cay

We have snorkeled the cay under many conditions and it has been dangerous at times. If it is calm then it's an easy snorkel but if the water is choppy it can be tough. Best done with a partner for sure and remember to not panic if caught in a current - you have to let it take you where it wants.

Madison, Wisconsin
8. Re: Waterlemon Cay

I love snorkeling at Waterlemon and try to do so on every trip to St. John. That being said, if the current is srong, it can be a bit challenging, if not scary. I always try to ask others walking out with snorkel gear how the snorkeling was since each day can be different. I also never go without my snorkel vest to be safe.

Michigan
9. Re: Waterlemon Cay

We recently just snorkeled waterlemon cay and I have to agree 100% that this is the best snorkeling we have ever done in the carribean. The water was calm and we snorkeled counterclockwise as well. The size of the sea fans and brain coral is amazing! It looks very similar to what you would experience if you were diving deep. Unfortunately we snorkeled here first and then went over to St. Thomas so our expectations for the rest of our snorkeling were extremely high and we were disappointed with everything else. Don't get me wrong we always saw something new and exciting at all the other spots but NOTHING compared to Waterlemon Cay!!!

Canton, Michigan
10. Re: Waterlemon Cay

Watch the Sea Fans (Gorgonians for the true afficianado) to see how much they are leaning. If they are leaning out to sea at a severe angle, you know there is a lot of current. You can read the currents this way before you get into trouble.