We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Ocean Runners!

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 30
AVOID Ocean Runners!

These guys are complete crooks. Booked a full day rental in March. Arrived to find the boat not working and waited patiently for a repair on one of the engines. Finally took off with grease all over the deck and after 20 minutes the engine failed. Limped back to the harbor and got multiple excuses from the owner Steve "bad gas, etc"- who was also unable to get it to work. Despite expressing my concern for the safety of my family was informed I would be billed for services not provided.

The boats are not safe and the care of passengers completely absent.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this "operation" all together.

33 replies to this topic
Northeast
reviews: 1
11. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

Thought you were "giving it a rest" ............. Is your nap over?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
12. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

The OP obviously posted two months after he last did so in order to keep the company's name to the forefront in case anyone thinks of using their services. A very "tacky" maneuver, in my humble opinion.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
13. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

I agree!

Northeast
reviews: 1
14. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

After learning they are under new ownership since my last experience, I would try them again. To be honest it pains me to give bad review here or anywhere else. So I usually only do it once, or twice if the topic happens to come up. I don't rehash old stuff completely out of the blue. That seems wrong, especially when OP's money was refunded. Time to sweep it under the rug and hope everyone involved learned a lesson.

15. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, October 10, 2012

16. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, May 02, 2014
Edited: 8:05 pm, May 02, 2014

Boston
reviews: 25
17. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

To be fair, I think that sometimes some honest posters worry so much about other people getting ripped off that they feel compelled to re-post sort of. I have zero comment on Ocean Runners, never rentedfrom them but I would certainly be wary- maybe

Sarasota, Florida
18. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

I've taken Ocean Runner 3 times and would take them again. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
19. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

We have rented from Ocean Runners but it was probably 5 years ago and all went great! We are headed back to St John this year with another couple to celebrate our 30th anniversaries together and definitely want to rent a boat at least 2-3 days. Our trip is mid April 2013. I'm sure hoping to hear that all is well with Ocean Runners because I am not aware of any other companies that will rent us a boat to take out on our own.

Feel free to give LOTS of input!!

Julie

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
20. Re: AVOID Ocean Runners!

Not THIS year, but in the upcoming year! We have rented on St Thomas from Nauti Nymph, but that company is not on St John, right?

Julie

Reply to: AVOID Ocean Runners!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted