We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane season

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
hurricane season

Has anyone been to St.John in August? If so does it rain alot and is it unbearably hot?

I am trying to decide on where to go on our honeymoon. I have it narrowed down to St.John or St.Lucia

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 7
1. Re: hurricane season

2 great choices.

Hurricane season is technically from June 1- December 1 with its height in September and October. I think both places are suseptible to hurricanes, but the chances one will ocme thru on your dates is pretty slim. Buy trip insurance for this time of year for that reason, but read the policy carefully first.

Yes it is pretty warm this time of year, so I'd recommend a place with ac at least in the bedroom.

Yes, it tends to rain everyday, but usually just a passing shower preceeded by and followed by lots of sun. It's like that most of the year in the tropics. That's how the hills stay so green.

New Jersey
2. Re: hurricane season

Way back when, before I knew any better, I used to always go around the middle of August. Since nobody had told me not to go then, I loved it. No crowds anywhere. Yes, it was hot but it’s hot at home in August too. I think we had maybe one or two full days of rain one year when a tropical storm was bouncing around the Caribbean, but that was it. Then I finally took a trip in high season (March) and wondered where my nice quiet St. John went.

I would never avoid an island because of the possibility of hurricanes. That’s like not going to San Francisco because there might be an earthquake. But as Tethered said, I’d look into trip insurance during some months and I’d make sure my rental had AC.

Rhode Island
reviews: 2
3. Re: hurricane season

We plan on going to St. John the 1st week of September. I guess we have no choice but to take our chances with the weather. Is Septemeber a reasonable warm time of year in St. John?