We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
reviews: 1
Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

I know how to ride and want ease of parking in Cruz bay as we come in for breakfast, lunch, and dinners everyday.

What about riding at night?

I know the roads are steep, but that doesn't worry me...

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Do a lot of people rent scooters?

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
1. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

I don't know if anyone is even renting scooters on stj.. they just started on stt in the last 2 years.. if you're comfortable on a scooter, it's probably as safe as scooting on any other island... of course, I know a bunch of people who've wrecked scooters on many different islands.. I guess my friends are all as accident prone as I am...

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 9
2. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

We were there 2 weeks ago, give or take. It was the first time I noticed scooters. Let me tell you the roads are narrow, curvey, hilly and winding. Sounds dangerous, yet, I had to dare my husband to get up to 30 MPH, which he did on one particular straight of way on Centerline Road between Cruz and Coral Bays.

Personally, I would not rent one. A wreck is a wreck, and I'd rather be surrounded by steel than air. Still, the folks riding them looked happy and I saw no carnage.

The biggest threat on the road, it seemed to me, were the locals who drive the roads daily and pass you because you don't know where the next curve is or isn't and they do. STJ has hairpin curves and cement trucks were prevailent.

Don't want to act like anyone's mom except for my own two kids. So, if you rent one, chances are you'll be fine if you're careful and ready for any crazy thing that lies beyond the next curve. Still, what's the cost differential? How much easier will it be to park with a scooter rather than a car? For me, open windows in a jeep are good enough. Most rental companies in STJ let you park in their lots whenever you're in town. Just my humble, thankful to be alive in my 40's opinion...

new york
reviews: 22
3. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

The entire town is less than 3 blocks long and we found parking for a jeep every day. The roads are very steep and winding and we had an unusual amount of interaction with the local chickens,goats pigs cows and donkeys that seemed to appear out of no where without any warning.Good luck and be careful.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 3
4. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

Scooters have been here a couple of years. You can rent them by calling 340-693-RENT. I do see quite a few people riding around on them during the day time but I have yet to see them after dark. My biggest concern about renting a scooter is wet roads. We get brief, but frequent showers and it definitely makes the roads slick. What time of year will you be here? We get more rain certain times of the year.

CT
5. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

We just returned two weeks ago and found parking for both our Jeep and Montero everyday. We also found that cows, chickens and donkeys crossed our path. I did see two or three scooters during our stay, but I personally think its an unneccesary risk. As others posted, it rains a bit everyday, roads are steep, very narrow and curvy and locals do tend to pass visitors at a high speed. Guess it depends on how much of a risk taker you are, but I truly feel it would be too dangerous...and wouldn't even consider riding a scooter at night. Whatever you decide be careful and have a great time!

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
6. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

if you are going to rent a scooter....be sure you have medical evacuation insurance.

seattle, WA
reviews: 13
7. Re: Is renting a scooter dangerous in St John?

I was scared in a jeep. I think a scooter would be suicidal. We were there during the holidays and the locals and Taxi's are the concern. The taxi's are large trucks with seats and they take up the road.