We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Food

Cape Canaveral
reviews: 15
Packing Food

I see that some of you have packed frozen meat. I looked on Spirit Airlines and they said you can bring perishable food on plane - in case there are delays. Does anyone know anything about this? I could put it in checked baggage inside a softside cooler with cold pack. But, if I carry it on, I'm afraid they wont allow it. I dont want to have to give up 4 filet mignons!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
1. Re: Packing Food

I'm guessing that by "perishable" foods, Spirit is referring to unfrozen foods. Visitors who regularly bring down frozen goods with them (and there are hundreds of posts on how to pack them and with what) report that even after sometimes 12 hour passages the meat has stayed frozen all the way to their destination. Double check their policy to be sure and maybe someone who's flown Spirit here will also have some input.

Cape Canaveral
2. Re: Packing Food

Thanks. I was going to take the steaks frozen solid and put inside a soft sided cooler with cold pack. I will also call Spirit to double check. Thanks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
3. Re: Packing Food

There are restrictions on the type of "cold packs" allowed and this you should check. Judging from numerous posts on the subject, as long as the meat is frozen solid, wrapped with layers of newspaper and packed tight, no additional cold packs are necessary.

Cape Canaveral
4. Re: Packing Food

But, if I do have a cold pack and its frozen solid, will that be enough or do I have to do the newspaper thing too? It has taken me hours to get onto Spirit online, but no response back. Then it took forever to get a real person on the phone. Then she couldnt understand FROZEN MEAT, she had to talk to her supervisor. I could barely understand her. She kept telling me the size requirements of the backpack. Geesz, I dont think its worth it. I never have been able to pay for my checked baggage online. I'll have to pay the extra costs and pay at check in.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
5. Re: Packing Food

If you use the search engine as suggested you'll find literally hundreds of posts about packing frozen meats to bring here. Type in your key words and then set the default to "by date". Not all cold packs are acceptable on airlines period and this is something you can easily find on a google. If you pack tightly with newspaper you do not need a cold pack of any kind apparently (as said before).

Edited: 5:35 pm, July 27, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
6. Re: Packing Food

To repeat, you do NOT need a cold pack in the ice chest with FROZEN MEAT, especially if you are coming from Florida. I stay in a villa way out on the east end of St. John, traveling by overnight flight from LAX. By the time I arrive my stuff has been in the ice chest almost 24 hours with no problem.

I pack steaks and other meats, lunchmeat, cheese, bacon, sausage and whatever else I can think of I might need. I freeze everything and it arrives at the villa still frozen for the most part. Some of the items on the outside thaw but we just eat those first. The meats stay frozen so I can put them in the freezer in the villa.

The ice chest can be checked or carried on but we always carry it on. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Cape Canaveral
7. Re: Packing Food

OK - I will take your advice and just wrap the meat in newspaper. We are flying from Orlando to St T but we have a stop over in Fort Lauderdale. Probably be about 9 hours from my condo to Sapphire Condo. I am not using a big ice chest. Only one of those soft-sided insulated backpacks. I was only going to bring small steaks and butter, but bacon is a good idea too. I'm going to carry on the backpack because its free. If I check it in or carry on a large container they will charge me $ 60 fee RT. I think you can refreeze meat - so as long as it doesnt sit out in the 100 degree weather we are now having in FL - it should be ok. Thanks for all your help.

West Chester...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Packing Food

also suggest taking coffee or tea, peanut butter, jelly, breakfast fixings and snacks, condiments, sugar, etc. You would be surprised how much these add up, especialy at STT prices.

Cape Canaveral
9. Re: Packing Food

Yes. I'm also taking dry pasta, rice, English Muffins, crackers, dry cereal, coffee, tea, snacks, instant potatoes - in fact, I think I'm packing more food than clothes! haha...This will all help so we can afford to eat at a 5 star restaurant (steak and lobster) at least one night! We both love seafood - so, we will enjoy that too.

I just hope we dont get hassled by the airlines security when carrying on a backpack full of frozen foods.

NJ
reviews: 8
10. Re: Packing Food

Some of this stuff really isn't horribly priced in ST Thomas and I was pleasantly surprised at the availability of gourmet items. I pack stuff that I know I will definitely use (tea, sugar, my custom spice rubs, steaks, butter, bagels), but if I"m not sure if I'll use it I'll just get it there. I feel it's more of a hassle to overpack and drag stuff back than the possible savings is worth.