We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing food

Philadelphia...
Packing food

I've read of some people packing and bringing along certain food products. I'd like to here some ideas of what kinds of food are worth bringing and what foods are not worth bringing.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 6
1. Re: Packing food

We rent a villa on STJ each year and always pack a softsided cooler with frozen meats. We take chicken breast, bacon wrapped filets, a pre-marinaded pork tenderloin, sea scallops, salmon, and sometimes hamburgers & brats. I vacuum pack everything and make sure it is frozen solid. (which I can do weeks ahead of time). In between the frozen stuff I pack lunchmeat & cheeses (not frozen). We go for 10-11 days. We are a group of 4 or 6 and enjoy having dinner on the deck. Everyone pitches in to help & we always make sure the villa has a dishwasher before reserving it. It saves us lots of money for other stuff like day trips or fishing (or jewelry...LOL). I carry this on rather than checking it to avoid it getting lost.

One year when we flew through San Juan our cooler (which we had checked) got lost. It arrived later the same day and everything was still frozen 15 hours after leaving home. Since then we carry it on to be safe.

If we have room in our suitcase we pack things like Nutrigrain bars, Pop-Tarts, granola bars, Pringles potato chips, etc. Snacks are very expensive on island.

San Francisco...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Packing food

I've also read where some people have brought vegetables in their checked luggage???? Is that OK to do??? I can see frozen meat, cheese, chips being OK but I thought there were restrictions on fruits and vegetables. If someone could clear that up for me I would appreciate it! Thanks

Philadelphia
reviews: 7
3. Re: Packing food

We travel regularly to St. Thomas from th emainland and no one has ever asked us whether we had any fruits or vegetables in our luggage upon entry to St. Thomas. However, upon leaving St. Thomas you pass through Customs and Immigration at the St. Thomas airport and there they do ask you about fruits and vegetables and I seem to remember meats. Also, if you travel to the BVI's and return to St. Thomas or St. John, they ask you about fruits and vegetables as I recall.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 6
4. Re: Packing food

One year I took bagged salad mix because I had room in the cooler. You don't go through Customs on the way to STT. You do however on the way home. No fruits, veggies, coconuts, or straw hats (or anything else) made from palm fronds.

San Francisco...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Packing food

Great..... That answered my question perfectly! Thank you

Northof Boston
reviews: 32
6. Re: Packing food

We also pack a cooler of meat, string cheese, pizza dough ( I make a great grilled dough brushed with EVOO), etc.. We have always checked this bag.

I also send along ahead of time ( to our realtor who nicely receives and delivers to our rental villa) a box full of non-perishables- cereal bars, pop-tarts, sunbutter ( peanut allergies..), jelly, anything that we normally use that can fit. The USPS has pre-paid boxes, and I've found that I can fit a lot in a $14 box.

Philadelphia...
7. Re: Packing food

if bringing the frozen food as a carry on, is there a problem when going through security?

cleveland,oh
reviews: 24
8. Re: Packing food

No, as long as it's not a liquid.

Hampton Roads, VA
reviews: 69
9. Re: Packing food

We always pack meats and cheeses, and but vegetables there. We used to pack a large cooler and check it but that has really become cost-ineffective! Soft sided carry-ons are perfect!

10. Re: Packing food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, May 10, 2012