We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 15
What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

We are ferrying to St Thomas tomorrow from Virgin Gorda and will have a few hours before our flight home. We will be stowing our bags at the ferry dock, and would like to know if there is an area nearby for a little trinket shopping and lunch? Something walkable, or within a short cab ride would be nice. Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
1. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

You're right in town there so won't have any problems at all finding eating places and open stores all within easy walking distance. Just cross the road. It should be a comfortable day as there's only ship in at the WICO dock - enough to ensure the shops are all open but not such a huge mass of bodies that it'll be a zoo. Have fun!

Colorado
reviews: 10
2. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

We tried Coconuts for the first time ever and found it's a nice casual place for lunch. If your wanting a fancier place we also tried http://www.amaliacafe.com/ for the first time and had a terrific lunch. Both are downtown .

California
reviews: 31
3. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

We are doing the same ferry back to STT in a couple of weeks, is there a place at the dock we can safely leave our bags? Your idea about shopping/lunch before our flight sounds like a great way to spend the last few hours.

St. Thomas
reviews: 2
4. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

There is no trinket shopping but a short 5 min. walk from the Ferry is Frenchtown - where there are some great restaurants to enjoy a pre flight lunch,

St. Thomas
reviews: 18
5. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

There is what I would consider trinket shopping at vendors plaza, about 5 minute walk along the waterfront to the east (opposite direction from Frenchtown) where outdoor stands with blue canvas "roofs" are located. And, of course, many beautiful shops along main street, also an easy walk in the same direction.

cruzbay
6. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

Charlotte A. has many shops and sidewalk bars and restarants, many touristy spots. However, my favorite local spot is Gladys' Cafe http://www.gladyscafe.com/ From the Dock cross street, walk left for 3-5 minutes ask anyone to point you in the right direction It is down a coblestobne street near one of the visitor information booths.

If your lucky Gladys will behind the bar singing as she usually is. She thinks shes Gladys Knight, and I for one am buying it :) They offer fresh fabulous drinks and local fare as well as Amercian cuisine. Also if you need to stash your bags for a bit while you shop, they usually will gladly. Shops surrrond this friendly and causual resaurant, so plenty to do after eating. HAVE FUN!

Columbus, Ohio
7. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

Well...I wish I would have asked the question "where is somewhere non-touristy and nice to visit when you have 3 hours on St. Thomas"? We really disliked that cruse ship shopping area near the ferry docks, and after a week of peaceful bliss on Virgin Gorda, this experience was unpleasant to say the least. I guess I as expecting that area of St Thomas to be more like Lahaina on Maui (kitschy but still nice). Ugh. Live and learn, I guess....

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
8. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

^^^Well you did specify an area close by the ferry dock so that's what you got! If you'd expressed a desire for peace and quiet we'd have easily guided you outside town but Charlotte Amalie (town) is the commercial hub of the USVI. Plenty of wonderful peace and quiet outside it. Glad you enjoyed your getaway despite the final disappointment!

Columbus, Ohio
9. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

Totally my fault for assuming we would enjoy an extremely touristy area after a week of the opposite experience. Like I said, I wish I'd asked a different question. Maybe next time. At least we got to drink one more Bushwacker.

reviews: 5
10. Re: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?

what might you recommend that is nearby but not so touristy? we will be arriving in charolette amalie tomorrow around 11am and have about 3 hours before we need to get to the airport. we wouldn't mind sitting at a beach somewhere and having lunch or somewhere a little more remote and away from the tourism. Thanks!!

Reply to: What to do for 3 hours near ferry dock at Charlotte Amalie?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie