We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, Kansas
reviews: 115
Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

I went to this gas station on my way to drop off my rental car. I filled up, and got hit with 2 charges, one for $81 and one for $31 (Texaco Airport). If I remember correctly, my gas was only $60, so I actually believe both of them were wrong, however I did not have my receipt and could not prove this.

While you're getting gas, they hold your credit card. I suppose its not impossible they accidentally scanned my card for another individuals gas, as there was one additional person at the station while I was there, however this would seem unlikely. Couple that with the fact that I really don't think my gas purchase was $81, and it kind of makes you wonder.

If you get gas here, you better make sure to check your receipt, and I would be interested to hear if there are any others that have had this happen to them.

BTW, this happened in October, just now getting around to posting about it.

Water Island, St...
1. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

Yep, a young local was running this scam four months ago. He must have thought I was filling a rental car and didn't figure I would come back and challenge the extra charge. Haven't been back so don't know if he is still working there.

The assistant manager was very nice and it took her several days to get copies of the two signed credit card receipts. When I had signed the orignal slip I ran off the edge of the writting table, so the last two letters of my name trailed off the paper. When she showed me the two receipts I pointed out the fact that the signature had been traced from the only receipt I had orginally signed even matching where the last two letters trailed down and off the paper. She asked the twerp if he remembered me and he mumbled something that I couldn't understand, but the Assistant Manager said because they had two signed receipts they were processing the two charges.

I notified my stateside credit union on Friday about the traced signature, and by Monday the charge was reversed. So, don't know if Texaco removed the charge, or if my credit union just took the action based on my message to them.

I would guess the young man was running extra credit card charges so that he could pocket the amounts paid by cash customers. My extra charge was for $19.00 and the amount I purchased was $45.00. I know they do mostly a cash business, so I couldn't figure out the $19.00 amount. Who buys $19.00 cash? Down here at $4.50 a gallon a dollar doesn't mean anything.

Rocky Dock

Water Island

I originally tried to reach out to others who may have been taken here:

www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/read.php…

Edited: 9:34 pm, February 14, 2013
Olathe, Kansas
reviews: 115
2. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

I guess my thinking that this was not an isolated incident is confirmed. I did a charge back as well, and my credit card reversed it and closed the case the next day. I read the other thread you created. I can't believe the manager chose to do nothing in your case, because my double charge was several weeks before yours. Thinking they must have known the employee was doing this by the time yours came around.

Guess I know where I won't be buying gas next time I'm in St. Thomas.

Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 42
3. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

Hey Rocky you should go back and see if the twerp is still there. That station is owned by Texaco PR, I guess they don't know what's happening at their stations.

RL

Colorado
reviews: 10
4. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

Maybe the twerp and the mgr were in cahoots, and mgr just appeared to question ? then took a cut. Best to avoid that place.

North Carolina
reviews: 22
5. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

get in touch with your credit card company. This is an old scam. Hindsight - never let anyone hold your card.

St. Thomas
6. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

"Hey Rocky you should go back and see if the twerp is still there. That station is owned by Texaco PR, I guess they don't know what's happening at their stations."

I tried looking up a telephone number or mailing address and came up blank. The phone number I found in the directory was answered by "Chevron". My credit card purchases show up on my iPhone the next day, but I guess anyone filling a rental car and then getting on a plane wouldn't know about the fake charge until too late, and then have no way to contact them. I was never able to make contact with the manager, only got to see the assistant manager who gave me her cell number and then I followed up with her on three different occasions. I don't think anyone other than the guy taking the money was involved in the double billings.

7. Re: Warning on gas station right by airport turnoff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 17, 2014