We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

Hi, I will be going on a Royal Caribbean cruise which will be stopping at St Thomas for a number if hours. I would like to know if anyone could recommend some highlights to see, shopping, restaurants, any iconic places to visit, and what is around/near the cruise port. Thanks!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
1. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

To get the "full monty", use the search engine on the St Thomas forum as there are hundreds of similar threads with hundreds of different suggestions offered. Change the sort option to "by date" for the most recent.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 22
2. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

Some consider this obvious, but I don't.

You will not be allowed to change the "sort order" until you have clicked on the little magnifying glass.

Olathe, Kansas
reviews: 114
3. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

If I only had one day, I would take a cab to mountain top when I arrived, have a banana daiquiri while enjoying the view at Magens Bay. I would then go to Magens Bay (or Sapphire) and swim for a short while. I would then go into Red Hook for some food, then take a cab downtown and shop for a bit, and when you're ready to leave, go to the cruise port and take the ridiculously overpriced skyride to paradise point and enjoy the view before you leave.

If you are a big snorkeler, I would take the ferry over to St. John and snorkel Trunk Bay, or you could stay on St. Thomas and snorkel Sapphire, which was great.

These are my suggestions, and don't know if you can really do the entire itinerary in a day. Have fun!

Stafford, Virginia
reviews: 115
4. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

If you stay in town (Charlotte Amalie) I would suggest Gladys if wanting to try really good local food. If you want to get a truly local souveneir go to Tropical Creations and get one of Tulip Flemings beautiful hand painted calabashes. If wanting to take back a sweet treat stop in to the belgian choclate factory and get the spicy mango truffles, banana truffles and the bushwacker rum balls. For beaches you could take a taxi over to sapphire beach which is $10pp by taxi. If wanting great views to the sytram which is $21 pp. Have fun!!

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
5. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

You can change the sort order by Date as soon as the search is completed.

I would not worry about Mountain Top as it is now just a more commercial version of the original. You can get a banana daiquiri elsewhere for less.

The tram to Paradise Point is a must-do for a first-timer, not as expensive as Josh makes it sound, you can buy the tram tickets at your excursions desk for about $18pp roundtrip, or you can taxi up as well. But the view of the harbor and ships is amazing, and their signature drink is the Bailey's Bushwacker. Also a ferriswheel and other things to see and do there. But it's worth it for the view from the ttam and from the top. No fee other than the tram ride, and it's a great spot to hit before returning to the ship.

And agree with Sapphire for a beach destination, $18pp roundtrip by taxi.

Edited: 1:28 pm, February 19, 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
reviews: 47
6. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

If you could only do one thing on St. Thomas, I would say definitely go to Bumpa's and have the banana pancakes. Oh man! They are like eating flat banana break cake.

Great local food is at Cuzzin's; be daring on what you order, you won't be disappointed.

Others: Mountain Top is a little overpriced and you can get nearly the same selection and better haggling on pricing (for purchasing many things) at the street shops like in Emancipation Square in the old town.

If you have not done 'zip lines' yet Tree Limin' is lots of fun and the staff is great there. Then you can go across the street to the botanical garden for free with your paid fee for the zip line. Coral World was fun to see the animals up close, sharks, coral reef fish, sea turtles, iguanas, etc. but avoid Coki beach due to crowds. Look at the restaurant reviews in Trip Advisor to find your best picks.

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 10
7. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

We need a car for one day and are finding prices over $100, and some agents are saying they do not rent to cruise people. Any suggestions?? Thank you

Hurley, New York
reviews: 22
8. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

A small, front wheel drive, car should run you just about forty-six dollars a day including everything except fuel. With a gallon of fuel, which should get you to the opposite end of the island and back, that should bring it to just about fifty dollars.

IMHO it's absolutely deplorable that the agencies will not rent to "cruise people". The only things I can think of is not to tell them that you are a "cruise person" , and keep trying.

If you post the names of the agencies who do not rent to "cruise people", I will use the little influence that I have to discourage people from using those agencies.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
9. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

I've NEVER, ever, heard of rental agencies not renting to "cruise people".

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
10. Re: Cruise to St Thomas - Any Highlights/Must Sees!!

>>some agents are saying they do not rent to cruise people<<

Many cruisers rent everyday, have never heard that from anyone before.

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie