We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
reviews: 13
Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

We will be trading our Marriott timeshare for Frenchman's Cove - our only option in that area. Would we be traveling right in the middle of hurricane season if we came in early September?? We have a lot of flexibility, so we could change it. We usually like to travel in that time period because the children are back to school and it's not quite so hectic. We also appreciate warm weather since our suitcases are lighter and we don't need as many clothes. Also, can anyone tell us the details of getting to St. Croix to the underwater national park where I snorkeled many, many years ago. Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Irvine, California
reviews: 4
11. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

Hi - all the buildings at the Frenchman's Cove will require elevator trip to the pool. Then you have to walk down to the beach. Unfortunately, I don't recall easy access to the pool or to the beach for the handicapped. If I were to pick a more convenient building for your daughter at the Cove, it would be either the new Tortola or the Virgin Gorda building. Just make sure to ask for the room most easily accessible from the parking.

Regarding the rain, i can't comment on the rain in STT during September. We normally visit STT in early June due to my kids school, and we have yet to experience any major storms. There were occasional showers, but those were very brief. My guess is that the probability of tropical storm hitting STT in Sept timeframe is higher, but hopefully it won't rain too much during your stay in STT in Sept.

Orange County, CA
reviews: 13
12. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

Thanks, Av8tor, Actually we are holding reservations for about the 3rd week in October. I think by then, the likelihood of hurricanes will be somewhat diminished and hopefully, if it rains, it won't be an "all day" shower. Thanks again for all your help. One last question: Do you rent a car and if so, from whom? Do you know if it's possible to rent for just a day here and there?

Irvine, California
13. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

We have been to STT in October - except for a few brief showers, the weather

was absolutely beautiful.

We normally rent from Avis - I'd reserve the rental car as far in advance as possible to get the best rates

NY burbs
reviews: 50
14. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

don't want to hijack, however I have a couple of Avis questions av8tor.

I've read you can save significantly if you pickup by the sea plane/ferry terminal and drop at the airport. Have you done this?

Also, any issues with taking the car to St John (sedan not SUV)?

TIA

Irvine, California
15. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

Hi Tia - not sure about picking up the rental car by the sea plane/ferry terminal. I've always picked up the car at the airport. Except for Hertz, I do believe that Avis and other rental places let you drive your car to St John. You should always ask just to be on the safe side.

Also - I would strongly urge you to do a complete walk around the rental car before leaving the airport (or where you pick up the car - and I guess this applies to anytime you rent a car anywhere) to note any damages. It seems there are a lot of fender benders on the island due to the fact that most of the tourists are not familiar about driving on the left side. Might save a lot of headaches.

NY burbs
reviews: 50
16. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

Thank av8tor. Appreciate the tips!

17. Re: Considering Frenchman's Cove as vacation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, May 24, 2012