We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports or not?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
passports or not?

Just wondering if passports are required for the US Virgin islands? I know it kind of sounds dumb....but, hey ya never know right?

Thanks

Louisville, kentucky
1. Re: passports or not?

Not dumb just being prepared! You do not need a passport for the USVI however if you take a ferry to BVI like Virgin Gorda or Tortola I believe you will need a passport. I don't blame you for asking as passports are expensive.

Lake Ridge, Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: passports or not?

Please note that you Must have a passport by December 2006 to go anywhere in the Caribbean including USVI. It is about time MHO only. Check the State Department web site to be sure.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Bellingham...
reviews: 22
3. Re: passports or not?

You do not need for US Virgin Islands. The USVirgin Islands are NOT considering part of the "Caribbean" where the law is changed. They are a US Territory. GO to the government site: www.travel.state.gov. Within the information about the new requirements, there is a FAQ section that specifically asks about the US Virgin Islands.

No need to spend the $ to get a passport if you don't have to!

Hampton Roads, VA
reviews: 55
4. Re: passports or not?

You will not need passports for USVI (probably ever) but if you go to the BVI you will need one effective 1/2006. In the past you could use a picture ID with a birth certificate (which you will still need to travel to the USVI for customs on the way home).

Definitely not a dumb question!

Lake Ridge, Virginia
reviews: 1
5. Re: passports or not?

To be on the safe side don't go by what people tells you. Go to the home page of State Dept & look. Or Call. The end of 2006 you will need a passport for all travels whether or not if the island is a terrority of the US. USVI you still need right now a seal raised birth certificate to go through customs I know this as my close friend is a custom officer down there. He inform me that December is the cut off for birth certifcate & passports are going to used. It is the best form of ID according to him & I found it to be true. It is good for 10 years, yes it is costly but well worth the cost. But do what you want as others will do & be in for a shock when the airlines tell you before you leave if you have a passport to get back in the US from the USVI. Believe my airline does & even before I buy I ticket down there & they will tell you ahead what you need. This my opinion only. Like I said don't go by what posters tells you>>go to the source, your travel agent or best yet State Dept

Bellingham...
reviews: 22
6. Re: passports or not?

I took this right from the travel.state.gov website:

"Will this requirement apply to travel between the United States and Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will not affect travel between the United States and its territories. U.S. citizens traveling between the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa will continue to be able to use established forms of identification to board flights and for entry.

If traveling outside the United States or a U.S. territory, a passport or other secure document will be required. For example, a person may travel to and from the United States to the U.S. Virgin islands without a passport or other secure document, but under proposed regulations, a passport or other secure document would be required to re-enter the U.S. Virgin Islands from the British Virgin Islands or another country as of December 31, 2006. "

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 168
7. Re: passports or not?

But it cant hurt if you have one anyway.

reviews: 3
8. Re: passports or not?

BOTTOM LINE: NO, you do not need one.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
9. Re: passports or not?

All the responses aside...

I think that everyone that has responded to your post that does have a passport would agree... If you have the time, and the extra $55, get a passport!

You do not need it, as everyone has said, but flashing the Ol' passport in my opinion is 100X easier than carrying ID's, birth certificates, etc.

I travel a lot for work DOMESTICALLY, and would not leave home without my passport.

Just my opinion of course.

Syosset, New York
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 4
10. Re: passports or not?

I would bring/get a passport b/c you do need it to get back home to the states...as i stated in another post like this, even though im young (16 yrs old to b exact) i have been going down to st. thomas and i have visited every island except for STX and Anegada (which i am visiting hopefully this spring during my easter vacation)...anyway they do check your passport and ask for it when you are coming home and if you do not have it they will not allow you on the plane..believe me i have seen this happen before!!!!!!! Also if you take a trip to the BVI's on your way home they stop at St. Johns for customs so you get back into the 'US' territory and the definatly do need passports. bottom line get a passport and bring it with you!

Helen

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie