We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a rental car?

D.C.
Do I need a rental car?

Four of us are going to St Thomas next week, staying at Secret Harbor for 4 nights. Just want to relax on the beach, try a few restaurants, snorkle. Should we rent a car or just take taxis? Thanks.

Maine
1. Re: Do I need a rental car?

Taxis can add up quickly, especially with 4 of you. You may want to consider a car rental. We rented from Dependable car rental when we spent a few days in St Thomas this summer.

Here's a link to the taxi rates...

vinow.com/stthomas/…rates

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 117
2. Re: Do I need a rental car?

Depends how much running around you plan on doing. Secret Harbour is very convenient (about 5 minutes) to Red Hook for restaurants, as well as the ferry to St. John (a must do for a day -- or even half day; the ferry runs every hour until 11 pm). There's also a market at Red Hook for snacks/drinks/breakfast stuff if you want to have goodies in your room (all the rooms at SH have kitchenettes). If you ask the taxi driver from the airport, he/she will generally stop and let you pick up a few items on the way to the resort.

Snorkeling is great right off the beach at Secret Harbour. You won't need to go anywhere else for calm, clear water and a pretty beach with nice shaded areas and lovely gardens. But, if you do go to St. John, you should snorkel at Trunk Bay.

The Blue Moon restaurant at Secret Harbour is excellent -- one of the best on the island. My favorite -- Agave Terrace -- is only about 15 minutes from SH at the Point Pleasant Resort. If you go here, call for reservations BEFORE dark so you can see the great views of St. John and down island to the British Virgins. Try the Desmond Delight at the bar...

You can get a private taxi tour for a couple of hours to take you around the island and stop at Mountain Top (be sure to get their banana daquiri) or have the taxi driver who picks you up at the airport take you to SH via Mountain Top for stunning views...on a clear day more than 20 islands and cays.

If you plan to shop, you'll also need to get into Charlotte Amalie, which is about 25 minutes from the hotel...so, again, it depends on how much running around you will be doing.

Our family uses a terrific driver/guide in STT who is most helpful and willing to make extra stops, etc (Clover @ 340-690-0621). Call ahead and she'll meet you at the airport.

3. Re: Do I need a rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 21, 2009