We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise/ferry/logistics question

Bradenton, Florida
cruise/ferry/logistics question

Hi everyone, We are arriving on the Carnival Valor on Monday, June 30th. We'd like to spend the day in St John. Please tell me if our plan will work.

Ships docks 7am. Plan to be off the ship as close to 7 as possible. (Will this work?). The itinerary says we are there 7-5. Can we really get off at 7? If so, take taxi to Red Hook and then 8am ferry to St John. Take taxi to Trunk Bay for awhile and then taxi to Leinster/Waterlemon.

Plan to take 3pm ferry back to St Thomas. Must be back on ship at 4:30. I thought the 4pm ferry would be cutting it too close.

So my questions are:

Can we realistically make the 8 am ferry?

What time do you need to be back at Red Hook to catch the 3pm back? 2:45?

I realize the cruise offers a tour and that if there is some delay the ship will not wait. However, the cruise tour does not go where we want, when we want.

Thanks for helping me make the best of our day here!

17 replies to this topic
Bradenton, Florida
11. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

Thanks for everyone's advice. My husband is set on waterlemon based on TA reviews. I am set on Trunk Bay as I remember how beautiful it was many years ago when we visited. We unfortunately don't plan to be back any time soon so this is the itinerary we are going with. :) The plan is to cab it everywhere. We will go to Waterlemon first and ask a driver to come back at a certain time. Maybe promise an extra $20 or so to be back? Or is that rude? Then head over to Trunk. We were going to do the reverse, but if there are any cab/time issues it will be earlier in the day. We figure cabs are more readily available at Trunk heading back to the ferry dock. So wish us luck! Ha! Thanks again!

12. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

You should ask someone to give you a ride back to Cruz Bay if the driver doesn't come back at the appointed time and you can't contact him/her. Most people on STJ are very good about giving people rides.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
reviews: 14
13. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

One other thing to keep in mind. The taxi drivers like to fill up the cab before they leave. So you can wait until they get additional fares to go back to Cruz Bay I would tell the driver you have a time deadline to be sure you make your ferry

New London, New...
14. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

"My husband is set on waterlemon based on TA reviews." I understand why Waterlemon receives such high marks on TA. Waterlemon's under water life (purple sea fan in particular) is excellent. However, the TA reviews rarely mention that snorkling around the backside of the little island is very condition dependent. Please check the water and tide conditions before hand. The currents around the little cay can be very dangerous. Please be careful.

Giboney and Jumbie have very nice snorkling also. Have fun.

New London, New...
15. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

To add: Giboney and Jumbie have very nice snorkling also. Gibnoy and Jumvie have limited parking, so they are rarely crowded. (Good if you're arriving via taxi) And they are closer town on the regular taxi route. Have fun.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 21
16. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

We have seen taxis out at Waterlemon but they seemed to be attached to a group tour. Waterlemon is a great snorkel trip if you can make it work. Have you considered Cinnamon Bay? Nice long beach like Trunk Bay and good snorkeling around the cay. I would agree that you probably won't be able to rent a car on STJ since it is Carnival week. We have been to Jumbie but did not think the snorkeling was that good.

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
17. Re: cruise/ferry/logistics question

A self-excursion is definitely the way to go for the most flexibility, and it is a very popular choice for the vast majority of return visitors. And the 3PM return ferry should not be a problem - RH ferries are notoriously regular, and the drivers on STT very good at getting everyone back to port. So we would take the 3PM return but many ppl would be stressed.

I would be at the Cruz Bay ferry dock no later than 2:30 because everyone else will have the same idea. You do not want to miss that ferry as the 4PM return would certainly be an adventure that may include a fun flight to your next port.

Reply to: cruise/ferry/logistics question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted