We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udder Delite

England
reviews: 84
Udder Delite

Can you walk from the ship to Udder Delite? Thank you.

Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 43
31. Re: Udder Delite

Steve whatever your Harvard educated linguist son can tell you about what I speak is his opinion, no problem, however kindly do not call what I speak Crucian as I am from St Thomas. That's all. You can call it simply Virgin Island.

RL

St. Thomas
reviews: 2
32. Re: Udder Delite

Having lived in Cambridge Mass I found some of those 'Havad accents wikked pissa had' to understand too.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 28
33. Re: Udder Delite

Ron,

Considering my son's credentials, it would be his judgment, not just his opinion. Of course, another credentialed person could certainly have a differing judgment You and I are entitled only to our opinions.

Never having heard you speak, I obviously couldn't even give you an opinion. My opinion, based on your posts is that you write "standard English."

Now, what would you like me to call the "language" (in its broadest sense) that you use.

As a result of this thread, I have reached some interesting conclusions. One, which I think will be appreciated, is that it's as silly to attempt to impose English grammar on <whatever is spoken on St. Thomas> as it is to try to impose Latin grammar on English.

Steve

Edited: 6:34 pm, October 14, 2013
Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 43
34. Re: Udder Delite

Steve I suppose your problem is comprehension. I speak with an Virgin Islands accent. I use correct English. I do not speak Crucian unless of course I am play acting as I do with British, Southern, New England or any other accent I can duplicate. I just want you to understand what we in St Thomas speak is not Crucian.

One more thing that you may not know is that more than likely the folks you hear speak what you call creole or patois are probably speaking such. The folks you may come across in your travels in St Thomas are from so many different islands it confuses the untrained ear.

RL

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
35. Re: Udder Delite

"As a result of this thread, I have reached some interesting conclusions. One, which I think will be appreciated, is that it's as silly to attempt to impose English grammar on <whatever is spoken on St. Thomas> as it is to try to impose Latin grammar on English."

There is nothing at all to appreciate about your meandering off into a dissertation about grammar when it was your decision to try and alter VI history by insisting that Magens Bay should be re-named "Magen's Bay" and further that this old Danish surname be changed to MEgans instead of MAgens. I second Ron in opining that your problem is likely comprehension (lack of). Rather than continuing to argue it would be far more gentlemanly, polite and sensible to simply say, "thanks so much for the information".

Hurley, New York
reviews: 28
36. Re: Udder Delite

StTR, I am flabbergasted by your last post for two reasons.

First. The OP asked what seemed to be a simple question, and received a simple answer*, whereupon you (with some assistance from STW) launched into a spelling lesson and impertinent banter about medieval stocks. This was followed by three separate contributors commenting on the stocks and their use, before I even posted. Soon thereafter LS chimed in with a humorous reference to some deceased comedians. Then you assert that it was I who diverted the thread!

Secondly, as you know,there are approximately a million visitors to St. Thomas annually. I believe that it is safe to assume that few of them are familiar with the naming conventions that are employed in the Virgin Islands, and would impose standard English conventions on the name “Magens”. At the same time, probably relatively few more people that the population of the islands would use the regional conventions. The “vote”, therefore, is overwhelmingly in favor of employing an apostrophe, and the predominantly employed spelling should be preferred to the historically correct spelling--which is used by only a relatively few.

Steve

*I believe that the answer given is incorrect, but that is an entirely different issue.

37. Re: Udder Delite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 21, 2014