We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

PA
reviews: 1
Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

I am thinking of staying in a B&B in Charlotte Amalie for 3-4 days. I'd like to go to St John's, a beach on St Thomas, etc.. Are taxis expensive or difficult to find?

Cape Canaveral...
reviews: 125
1. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

The main complaint against taxis is that they operate more like a bus making many stops. It can also get costly if you use them a lot. Last month I rented a car from Avis and it was about $150.00 for 4 days. There are alot of spectactular views you can see with a car. Make sure you go to Magen's Beach!

PA
2. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

I was concerned about driving because I read that the roads are winding and the drivers are unpredictable?

Cape Canaveral...
3. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

The roads are winding and steep in places. In addition you drive on the left side of the road. However because of these conditions I found the drivers cautious and calm. They really have no choice.

PA
4. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

I will definitely go to Magen's beach - it might be on a bus though :) Thanks for your input!

Cape Canaveral...
5. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

Try to pick a day when no cruise ships are in and you will have it all to yourself. Have fun!

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 2
6. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

As for the cost of the taxi to the beach - when we visited St. Thomas, the taxis (actually open-aired busses) charged $6 per person, each way for the ride from the cruise ship dock (Havensight area) to Megan's Bay. It was then $3 admission charge per person at the beach (might be less for kids). So, you're looking at $15 per person without chairs, drinks, etc while at the beach.

The taxis aren't difficult to find. I'm not sure of your proximity to the downtown area of Charlotte Amaile, but there are always plenty of drivers waiting to go somewhere. Or ask the proprietors of the B&B to call a taxi. We've always found that the taxis are running pretty regularly to the touristy areas.

7. Re: Taxi rates/accessibility if not close to the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 15, 2009