We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Seattle, Washington
What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Everyone asks what's the top attraction, the top 5 things to see, do, eat at, etc., so for those who've been, what are/were your biggest disappointments and why?

As an example, I've gone snorkeling on other islands and the water was too choppy for us to get in...so I've learned to ask about water conditions before booking.

Another example, on a different trip I went on a hike to a waterfall that was supposed to be spectaclur...it was a pool with a 7 foot water fall.....not worth the 2 hour trek.

Thanks

Philadelphia
reviews: 7
21. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Which is just the way we like it, a hidden gem with no crowds, all to ourselves! An best of all, no rabid dogs wandering the beach!

North Pole, New York
reviews: 97
22. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

I would include Secret Harbor in the list of beaches that are considered very nice.

When we've stayed at Sapphire we never saw large cruise ship crowds even on big ship days, at least not like Coki and Magens. But Sapphire has room to spread out too. And I think Sapphire exudes "character" which Magens and other beaches simply don't have but that's our opinion too. Travelgurl sorry you had a less than ideal day at Sapphire. Again we've never seen it crowded like Magens. We actually drove to Magens and other beaches on a 1-ship day to see Magens (actually paid $10 to spend an hour at Magens!!!), Coki, Lindqvist, SH and Cowpet and Magens was crowded even then - felt great to get back to Sapphire!

Studmuffin I was a bit disappointed in your comparisons of Coki and a "ghetto", I don't think your description of Coki is at all fair. Yes the neighborhood you pass through to get there is not a rich one, but Coki is absolutely gorgeous, and is actually the nicest beach on STT in my humble opinion. There are several vendors there, but the only problem I've ever had there is how rude and obnoxious day visitors can be toward the locals, very embarrasing to us and other day and longer-term visitors. I also don't understand your likening a "ghetto" to Jamaica and Bahamas when one is off the resort. I gather you've had very limited exploring exploring Jamaica and the islands of the Bahamas. Your post just struck me as being very similar to the "Don't go to Mexico" crap that I constantly hear from folks who have never been. Sorry, just have a problem with these exaggerations...

Njgregd, travelgurl79 we always wondered what the hype was all about with Duffy's until we finally tried it. It's really what you get from the experience, and that's typically an opportunuty to create embarrassing memories! Nothing more…except to keep one of their glasses on your bar to remind you…Agree with Lat 18, our fav spot when renting at Sapphire.

Tofa the snorkeling off the beach at Sapphire is probably the best off-the-beach snorkeling that STT and STJ have to offer, but taking a daysail and mooring off the cays off STJ will be superior. But realize that the snorkeling here is not over the top. You will even find better snorkel/dive options in the BVI if you ever decide to stay on Tortola or VG or take a day trip there. We found Cozumel, Belize and Roatan to be much better but that's because of the reef systems.

Enjoy your time and do keep an open mind as everyone has different experiences and take-aways from these places and there is going to be some bias of course.

Seattle, Washington
23. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Crmoores m

Thanks...and yes, we are staying 2 nights on Tortola.

Am planning on bringing my snorkel, fins and mask both both off the beach and boat trips...it's fun to at least get out and swim around.

24. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, May 28, 2014
North Pole, New York
reviews: 97
25. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Yes I can understand the drive in, and also the parking area when there are several vendors there vying for your cash. I remember the beauty of the beach more I guess. We usually visit Coki on a slow day or in the late afternoon after the ships leave which is a big difference. And I should clarify that I didn't mean to imply we didn't experience this on Jamaica, the "MoBay Hustle" is definitely in full swing in MoBay and other areas. Just have to know where you are and how to respond, some folks have a harder time with that and it can ruin their vacation. Thanks, and sorry if I was overly defensive of "our Coki"! {;>}

26. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, May 28, 2014
PA
27. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

We have a Villa at Frenchman's Cove and have traveled there every year up until 3 years ago. I must advise everyone of the crime that exists on the island. In fact, STT has more murders per capita than anywhere else, in the US. Three years ago, there was a murder of a 15 year old who was visiting from a cruise line. If my memory serves me right, she was shot while riding in an open air taxi near Coki beach. Unfortunately, Coki beach is NOT safe and while we always enjoyed going there with our boys and to Coral World, we will not be doing that when we return to STT next week.. We were sickened knowing we were at Coki Beach area one week after this murder happened! We researched about the crime on the island (do a google) and found that another shooting (murder)occurred at Kmart parking lot a week before the Coki Beach murder. So, What I am saying is please do not assume the island is completely safe, be careful! We will be visiting STT this time in a much guarded fashion. We will not be going to the pueblo grocery store as well. (Same area as Kmart)

We love Magens Bay (Non cruise day), Udder Delight after leaving Magens Bay, Traveling to St Johns and going to Trunk Bay. We enjoy MT for the view, One of our favorite restaurants is called Wikked. Hopefully it is still there. We travel to STT for total relaxation and really VEG out at the resort. Our kids get a kick out of the cruise ships going past our villa and the lights of CA Harbor are very pretty at night.

So, our love for the island is calling us back!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
28. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

Wikked has been closed for quite some time now.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 30
29. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

I just wanted to talk about snorkeling on STT.

Sapphire....there is snorkeling from the beach and a good reef out and to your right. You will see schools of fish and we find it quite good. If you enter the water and go to your left you will find stingrays and turtles. If you continue to your left there is another reef with some really good snorkeling.

Coki....I hate the fact that people feed the fish with dog biscuits, but on the right there is good snorkeling. Snorkel around the corner. Alllllll the way to your left there is a reef and we thought it was very full of life.

Secret Harbour.....you have to swim out pretty far, but we thought it more than just ok.

Great snorkeling over on STJ. You can take most rental cars over on the car barge and spend a day there.

30. Re: What activites, restaurants, etc. are over rated

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 31, 2014