We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip in May of 2014

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 23
Planning trip in May of 2014

I am planning a trip for May of 2014 to STT. We have a time share that we are staying for a week Elysian but we are looking at Bologno Bay for additional days. Would like to take trip to St. Johns and stay a few extra days there. Is that a better option? We are avid snorkelers. First trip to VI. it is a hard place to get into with timeshares. We will rent a car and explore STT. Should we take our car on the ferry to St Johns? and stay additional day there instead? Really want to snorkel there.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 4
1. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

I would spend the extra days on St John (no s). Make sure your jeep rental co will allow you to take it to St John. I know Hertz does not, but I think I recently read that there is another as well. So be sure to ask before making your reservation. The snorkeling on STJ is great and there are more beaches then you will be able to see in a few days! Happy planning!!!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
reviews: 14
2. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

In St. John you will definitely need a car to get to the various beaches and explore the island. St. John would be a good location to extend your vacation, but generally it is more expensive than St. Thomas, if that is a consideration.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
3. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

St John is only a hop, skimp and a jump away from STT and long day trips there are the norm for most visitors staying on St Thomas. You will probably find it way more feasible economically to continue your stay on STT and take day trips to STJ where in fact you may find difficulty finding accommodation if your planned stay there is less than three nights. If good snorkeling and easy accessibility to St John are your priorities I would look on www.vrbo.com for a condo at Sapphire in preference to Bolongo.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

Thanks for the info. Will look for something in St Johns for 4 or days. Any recommendations?

Cincinnati, Ohio
5. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

We are very interested in staying in St. Johns for 3-4 extra days or more. Thanks for the info. I will check and see what I can find.

Cincinnati, Ohio
6. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

Thanks is Sapphire a better location or accomodation? I will check your vrbo website. Is it a free one?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
7. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

As mentioned previously, the island is St John, not St Johns - no "s". vrbo.com is "vacation rentals by owners" and is free. Widely used by vacationers al over the world. As far as the difference between Bolongo and Sapphire is concerned, Sapphire condos vary in location and modernity depending on the owner but you'll find scores of photos of the units and can contact the owners directly with any questions. All units have full kitchens so you can prepare your own breakfasts and other meals. Bolongo rooms don't have kitchen facilities. The beach at Sapphire is far superior to that at Bolongo which is quite rocky and where there is very limited snorkeling. Lots of information on this site on both places as well as reviews. To use the search engine (top of this page) just type in the relevant words and then change the sort option to "by date" for most recent threads and posts. Have fun researching!

Philadelphia
reviews: 7
8. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

Let me start by saying I own on Cowpet Bay where the Elysian is and I rent my units. If you want to minimize the logistics of packing up everything and moving to another part of the island when your stay at the Elysian is done, I would suggest you look on vrbo.com for a condo on Cowpet Bay. There are numerous privately owned condos (not part of the Wyndham timeshare program) at the Elysian for rent (you wouldn't even have to move your car!), as well as condos at Cowpet East, Cowpet West and The Anchorage for rent. Any of these are close to the St. John ferry in Red Hook for day trips. If you feel the need to relocate to a different area on STT I would agree with STTResident that Sapphire is preferable to Bolongo and St. John is more expensive than STT. Enjoy.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 22
9. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

Sapphire bay is a great location. For one thing, there is some reasonably good snorkeling right off the beach.

All the accommodations at SB are in one of four condominiums: Sapphire House, Sapphire Bay Condominiums West (frequently called "Crystal Cove") Sapphire Village, and Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina. Needless to say, each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Because all four are condominiums, each unit within the condominium is under the care of its owner, resulting in a wide spectrum of condition.

Although there are a few exceptions, most of the units rented directly by their owner (usually by VRBO and/or HomeAway, are in decent, or better, condition, and most owners are conscientious and treat their guests well.

Again, with exceptions, the owners of the units in terrible condition, employ various agents to rent and manage their properties.Aggravating this, the on-site agents often do not treat travelers well.

That is why STTResident suggested finding a condo on VRBO, where you can rent an "owner-direct" unit. I would just be sure that the unit has a bunch of good reviews on the VRBO/HA page and/or in the review section of TripAdvisor.

I'm not sure about what you meant in your last question, but VRBO and HomeAway are not free. It cost between approximately three-hundred and one-thousand dollars a year for an owner to list on each site. The more you pay, the closer the listing will be to the beginning of the list (supposedly).

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
10. Re: Planning trip in May of 2014

vrbo is free to the customer seeking accommodation such as the OP which is obviously what he was questioning.