We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay for family of 4

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Oklahoma
reviews: 6
Places to stay for family of 4

I am looking at traveling to St. Thomas the middle of July with my husband and 2 children ages 12 and 14. We would like beachfront. Have heard some of the beaches are very rocky and would like a more sandy beach. Would like to stay close by the ferry because I would like to travel over to St John a couple of days. Can anyone give me suggestions for a moderate priced place to stay and which beaches? Thank you!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 4
1. Re: Places to stay for family of 4

I recommend a condo at Sapphire Beach. About 5 minutes from Red Hook ferry.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 23
2. Re: Places to stay for family of 4

I agree with bluewater43, although owning such a condo may possibly prejudice me.

There are two things you should know about renting a condo at Sapphire beach:

The first is that there are four completely separate condominiums at, or near, the beach: Sapphire Bay Condominiums West (often called "Crystal" Cove", Sapphire House, Sapphire Village, and Sapphire Bay Resort and Marina.

The second, and most important, is that because they are all condominiums, they are in different levels of condition, ranging from abysmal to near-palatial. Generally, the more desirable units are rented directly by their owners (usually on VRBO and or HomeAway), and the owners are conscientious and treat their guests well. Generally the less desirable units are rented via various agencies, who often employ "property managers" who often are less conscientious, and often treat travelers poorly.. So be sure to rent directly from an owner.This also applies to some other condominiums on St Thomas, but not at Sapphire Beach.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
3. Re: Places to stay for family of 4

The best beachfront accommodations on St Thomas in my opinion are (in order of preference) Sapphire, Secret Harbour and Elysian. www.vrbo.com is an excellent resource for dealing directly with condo owners but at Secret Harbour their own management deals with the rentals. At Sapphire you can either be directly on the beach, just above it or (at Sapphire Village) up on the hill WAY above it but not too far; at Crystal Cove very close to the beach but set back. Sapphire House shouldn't really be in the equation as it's primarily longer term rentals, not vacation rentals.

Here's a link to the Sapphire beach webcam:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

There are tons of posts on this forum related to the mentioned complexes - just enter the key words into the search engine top of this page, change the search criteria to "by date" and you'll find lots of up to date information to go through.

"Rocky" beaches are pretty much unheard of here. The beach at Bolongo is a bit rocky/pebbly, some of the more remote and not easily accessible beaches on the north side of STT are thus and a few likewise not easily accessible beaches on St John are rocky but that's not the norm. Have fun researching!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Places to stay for family of 4

I was in this same boat a couple weeks ago-I have been researching like crazy and finally came down to Sapphire Beach Resort. It had the 3 main things we were looking for 1) direct beach access 2) kitchen and 3) was a bit away from the main city hub. We rented from an owner on VRBO and I am hoping it will go well. She seems very nice, has good reviews and the condo pics are great. While the $$ per night was a bit of a spluge for us, it was worth it for beach access. Good luck!

5. Re: Places to stay for family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, June 26, 2014