We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Haddonfield, New...
reviews: 2
Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Hello We are traveling from Philly to St Thomas right after Christmas 2013. While I expected flights to be a lot more expensive I am shocked that over the last few months the round trip flights are ranging between $1150 and $1300 per person. Leaving from Newark is about the same. We are just under the 6 month mark until we leave. Does anyone have any experience to predict if flights will go down? Right now planes look like they are about 25% booked. Thanks for any tips or advice. Dont want to gamble with not having a seat at all but also hate to book my flight and then see prices have dropped a few hundred dollars.

Syosset, New York
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 4
1. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Have you looked at flights out of JFK? Sometimes you can get cheaper flights there...it might be a drive but I would rather drive 1 1/2-2hrs for a cheaper flight than pay $1500pp for the flight. Personally, I do not think it will go down by much considering it is high season and that christmas break this year (for us NY'ers anyway) is 2 weeks instead of the normal 1. Keep looking and if you see its steady for a couple of weeks, my guess it is not going to really change. If you see that prices are slowly creeping up, I would book before it gets too high.

Just looked at Kayak.com (my new best friend) and put in a search for the day after christmas (26th) and coming home jan 5th and the lowest fare I got out of JFK for direct flights is on AA for $991. If you are willing to make 1 stop on the flight going down but have a nonstop flight coming back to the states, I found $821 on Delta with a stop in ATL on the flight going down to STT.

I hope this helps!!

Helen

Hurley, New York
reviews: 28
2. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Just a joke:

I heard that after you die, in order to get to heaven you will have to transfer in ATL

Steve

Northof Boston
reviews: 30
3. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

FYI, if you ticket on Jet Blue, and the price drops for the same flight ( you have to be religious about checking...)- they will credit you the difference in fare, if you call them. I almost always carry a credit on my JB account from doing this!

Moorestown, New...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on prices dropping from Phila. We are going in July and after searching for about two months it still was over $800 per person non- stop and not much better out of New York:(

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
5. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

The prices you quoted are very typical, we paid more in Jan with a layover in PHL. Very painful to travel in high season, and much worse over the holidays. Obviously that is prime time and you won't find any airfare sales!

The only thing you can do to ensure you don't pay higher prices than you should are

1) research/check prices on a Tues & Wed at night.

2) travel mid-week.

We just booked both domestic and int'l flights for planned vacations and saved quite a bit by avoiding weekend travel and by monitoring price swings for several weeks. Some sites like Kayak will alert you to lower prices as well.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
6. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Get used to it. There are basically three airlines in this country. I recently read an article with Jeff Smisek who is the CEO of United. When asked about rising airfares he said that the fares today are in line with where they are suppossed to be. He said the fares people saw in 2008 and 2009 when they were significantly cheaper were due to the economy.

We go to STT every March and there isnt a fare departing out of Newark for less than 800 for the whole month! United flies one plane direct a day a 737 which seats a little over a hundred people. Two years ago, I paid around 450 PP. Softball babi is right, the only way to get a cheaper fare is to fly out of JFK where there is Delta, Jet Blue and AA. Newark is dominated by United and Philly is dominated by US Air/AA.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 37
7. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

I doubt the prices will drop, that is premium fare time pretty much anywhere you go.

Mike in Tulsa

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 5
8. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

Somehow I just hit a fare price on United for around $800, leaving on Decemer 20. I just was checking on a Saturday afternoon and the fares dropped from almost $1700 on United. I think they added this flight as the flight number now is a San Fransico flight to Maui when the trip was downloaded to by Blackberry. We are leaving from Buffalo had have to go through Chicago.

HOWEVER, the flight is now back to $1,250. The flight leaving from Newark is even higher.

9. Re: Flights are so expensive over holidays will they go down?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2014