We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Anyone know whats going on in bldg D? Was there the other day and all of the units were boarded up on the balcony side of the units and it looked like they were rehabing the balconies and roof coverings.

Curious if anyone is staying in those units as this work is going on. Seems to be unuseable since you cannot access the balcony.

SIL is booked (via VRBO) there next week and hasn't heard anything from the owner.

She is getting concerned.

Mike in Tulsa

50 replies to this topic
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Link to a photo of what I am talking about.....

…photobucket.com/albums/p797/N737AA/SBRMBldg…

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 10:11 pm, June 19, 2013
Hurley, New York
reviews: 23
2. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Received this June 9th:

"Fellow Owners,

FYI we thought you might like to know that Sapphire Resort has started a series of repairs that include all the doors, railings, stairs, porches, sliding glass doors and numerous other actions. They are currently working on two buildings and will do others as time goes on. No action on the restaurants.

SBCW BOD"

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
3. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Pretty normal maintenance as slow season comes around. Plenty of notice is given to the owners so of course they don't book those units being worked on. The work doesn't usually take too long and my several friends who live there haven't reported any major noise or other disruptions/distractions. Hopefully your SIL has called the owner to verify that the work in that section will be completed before her arrival!

4. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

She has contacted the owner REPEATEDLY and he is not responding. He did rent the condo and it is NOT routine maintenance. Did you not look at the picture? We were there the other day and they were using a jackhammer on the concrete on the balconies, the rebar was exposed and the sliding glass doors were all covered with plywood.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
5. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

No need to shout. My choice of words was obviously amiss and for that I apologize. What I meant as "routine maintenance" is that it's not unusual for the units at Sapphire to annually undergo exterior fixing and repairs during slow season. Obviously the owner should have made your relative aware of the impending work if his unit is one of those directly involved or very close by. Maybe BeautifulBill can shed some light and advise who you might contact for up to date information.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Ya it's not anything that I would call routine maintenance as evident by the pic. This is major remodeling. The pic speaks for itself.

In his defense the unit was booked back in January. I doubt the owners knew when the construction would be taking place in specific buildings if they knew it would be done at all back then. But at some point the owners must have been notified and should have taken action to make arrangements for dates that were booked while the work was going on.

Now, the real issue at hand is the fact that we have been trying to make contact with the owner for over a week now and have had little luck. Initially he did respond to give a number for a local lady that takes care of the unit but that number was no good. Notified him of that and he gave another number and that person said they don't take care of any condo's.

Since that last communication we have heard nothing from him. We know he is a pilot for Delta so that might explain delayed response but we never had any trouble communicating with him up to this point so doubt that is the problem.

It's sad to say but at this point we feel like its a problem that he doesn't want to deal with as it would cost him money. As it is he has their money and the unit is definitely not in the condition it was described as when the booking was made and they paid their money.

My main motivation for posting this topic was to see what other people are doing that have booked while this is going on. How are other owners handling this with their clients.

They arrive on Saturday, time is running out.

Mike in Tulsa

7. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

I apologize, the tensions here are getting high since we are supposed to leave St. John Saturday and stay on Sapphire for 10 days and she doesn't know if she has a place to stay. The owner is not responding to texts, emails or phone calls. He was very quick to call and email when we were renting the place though. Someone said the condos may be inhabitable. Well yea, maybe you could sleep there but who rents a condo on Sapphire Beach to look at plywood???

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
8. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

No worries, I can understand your frustration. As mentioned, maybe you could throw BB a private message if he doesn't spot this thread right away as he may have some suggestions to offer. My fingers will remain crossed for you! The good news is that if this whole deal is a blowout, it's probably not going to be impossible to locate an alternate unit while all this is being sorted out.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
9. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Im reaching out to the guy I always rent from in Building D to see whats up. He was just down there so he should have some more insight. That definitely does not look like routine maintenance. That looks like a major overhaul. I would imagine they need to get this work buttoned up before hurricane season. Beautiful Bill should know more. It does seem from Mike's note that there was very little notice which is going to cause some headaches with the planned renters.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
10. Re: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction

Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina has launched a capital project to repair and restore all the condo buildings at the resort. The plan calls for two buildings per year to be done in the off season over a three year period.

Right now the D building is being worked on, and the work entails both cosmetic improvements as well as structural repairs. Owners were notified and asked to find alternative units if they had already rented a unit in the D building during the repair period ( I think May to July). Some owners rented anyway and there are a few units that are occupied. As you can imagine anyone in one of those units is very upset. I don't think anyone should be in the units during the construction and I know the Board of Directors has given the message to the D building owners.

This fall the A building is next to be repaired and the project will be done during September, October, and November. If you have rented a unit during the construction period you should contact the owner and/or find alternative units. If you rented from the rental agent (Exclusive Resorts Management) then they have units throughout the resort and you will not be affected

Just to repeat, no construction will be taking place during the peak season.

Reply to: Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina Bldg D Construction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted