We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Hook Liquor Stores

Minnesota
reviews: 2
Red Hook Liquor Stores

Is there a liquor store in Red Hook in walking distance to the ferry? Just looking to pick up a few items before heading over to STJ. Thanks.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
reviews: 14
11. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

A few years ago we had a rainy day and my wife was going to go shopping so I went along and just for the fun of it priced liquor at several places. I picked four or five different liquors but just one brand of each that I normally would buy.

We went to Cost U Less, K Mart, Food Center, and Plaza Extra.

How did it go? What did I find out?

Well it was enough to drive me to drink. One place would be cheaper on one item and more expensive on another. If you wanted to get the best price on the different items you would be shopping at multiple stores all the time.

I think generally Plaza Extra had the lowest prices for most of the items I priced.

Ironically the next day I went to Marina Market to get a sandwich for our lunch. Marina Market is a very expensive place to shop. As luck would have it I noticed that they had a special on one of the items I had priced the day before and on special it was 40% cheaper than any of the other places.

So I would advise a tourist to just go where they want to buy their other items and buy liquor there. It may not be the cheapest price but it will cheaper than at home, and you will not be spending all day shopping.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 30
12. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

No matter what the airport prices are, it's convenient to pick a few bottles of Cruzan there. Here in the states I'm paying twice for Cruzan, which really hurts. You can't get beer there, so we stop at the Food Center on our way to Sapphire for beer and water. We also buy a 6 pack of water and then we do a couple gallons for refills.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
13. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

Steve, I don't waste wrath on you or anyone else on any forum. You doubtless wrote a long treatise on liquor prices which (and as BeautifulBill has so aptly pointed out) isn't relevant when it comes to individual product pricing which changes from week to week. One can state generally which stores have the best al-around price deals as well as the most extensive selection but that's logically all.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 30
14. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

The other thing is....who wants to waste their precious vacation time looking for liquor? Really, how much do you really save. I'd rather get to the beach.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 28
15. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

Beautiful Bill and I took essentially the same approach. The difference is that I just took the total price of the "basket. It will not get you the a price as low as shopping at multiple stores, but it will probably get you the lowest price that you could get by shopping at just one store.

Now, if you really want to go crazy, go looking for "specials"

A lot depends on an individual's ".style" In the course of a trip, I am almost always shopping for something in Price-Smart, K-Mart, and if not Cost-U-Less, the Home Depot. Of course we pass each Caribbean Host once.

So for on-island consumption, I buy at Price-Smart or Cost-U-Less. For the couple of bottles that I bring home, I premium at Caribbean Host, because we don't check luggage

It may interest STTR to know that BB's post above is approximately a third longer that my "long treatise"!

Of course, this post, like almost all posts on this thread do not address the OP's question. Clearly, as others have posted, it is not a great idea for the OP to spend a lot of time (and possible transportation costs) for "just a few items". That pretty well limits his choice to AYH and CH.

Has anyone compared the two?

Steve

16. Re: Red Hook Liquor Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2014