We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to find a specific bar

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
trying to find a specific bar

Hello, this is probably a long shot, but we are looking for a specific bar that we went to in 1988 or 1989, if it's still there maybe someone will recognize the description.

It was in downtown we think, was outside, with a curved (1/2 circle) bar, with a mirror the length of the bar behind the bartender and had an ocean view (pretty near the water I think)

If there's a better place to ask this question please let me know - thanks in advance!

Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 42
1. Re: trying to find a specific bar

Closest thing I could think of is the bar in Drake's Passage. Other than that there are not many waterfront bars. You have Big Kahuna's and Greenhouse and possibly the one in International Plaza,

RL

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
2. Re: trying to find a specific bar

I was thinking of Sparky's but that was an enclosed space, not open. Was Greenhouse around at that time? I can't remember!

Virginia
reviews: 66
3. Re: trying to find a specific bar

I was originally thinking Sparky's too. Greenhouse opened in 78 or 79

The floor plan has changed so often it's hard to say what it was at any one time. Sebastian's was long gone by 88, no?

Virginia
4. Re: trying to find a specific bar

The Carousel? Which became Billy's?

Help my brain is on fire!

san diego
5. Re: trying to find a specific bar

Thank you, I'll see what I can find out about those places and if they might be the place, I know I'd recognize a picture. We won't have much time to check them all out, we are only there for 8 hours and want to zip-line. Only 82 days!

Havertown...
reviews: 5
6. Re: trying to find a specific bar

This is the website for the Greenhouse:

thegreenhouserestaurant.com/greenhouse_st_th…

When we first went down in '98 the left side of the Greenhouse was a separate store (photo store) "Flaming ?????" Maybe the photo on their site will jog a memory.

Lydia

Water Island, St...
7. Re: trying to find a specific bar

Blazing Photos

san diego
8. Re: trying to find a specific bar

Lydia, thanks, no, that doesn't look like it, it was much more open, not really covered over the barstools at all. But that crosses one off the list anyway. :)

Virginia
9. Re: trying to find a specific bar

Kimmie, Try looking here at Ron's suggestion - small photo on the opening page http://www.lockhart.com/drakes.htm

Also found a youtube video shot by someone coming down the alley towards the waterfront but bar was closed that day - too early?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3YICmcREMw

san diego
10. Re: trying to find a specific bar

I'll take a look at those too - I tried to find a site for Bobby's B & G or Waterfront bar but only found Bobby's hardwood grill, maybe the same place?

Will take a look at The Carousel and Billy's and Blazing Photos - you all are great! thanks!