We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 37
Snorkeling

How is the quality of snorkeling on St. Thomas? I have visited Buck Island before. Is the coral healthy? Can one snorkel off any of the beaches? What are the best snorkeling spots? I would really appreciate your advice. Trying to decide where to vacation, St. Thomas is a more affordable choice for my family.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
1. Re: Snorkeling

The best snorkeling is on the East end of the island and, in a line from East to West you have Coki, Sapphire and Secret Harbour as the best spots with Smith Bay Park right behind. All within a 10 minute drive of each other. If you stay on the East end you're also a very short ride away from the Red Hook ferry terminal for day trips to St John where there is very good snorkeling right from the shore from pretty much any of the beaches. Plus there are plenty of charters going out from the East end which will take you to snorkeling spots you can only reach by sea.

I don't think you'll be at all disappointed.

Virginia
reviews: 75
2. Re: Snorkeling

It depends on what your base line is. Reef health has deteriorated world wide but is especially noticeable on heavily traveled beaches. Folks are forever standing on the reef despite signs and good intentions. The places mentioned in the accurate advice in STT's response above are good and as mentioned places accessible only by boat are very good. Gonna sound like the old geezer I am but it was far better when I was a young'n dagnabbit. Not to steer folks away from the VI, it's my favorite location, but if snorkeling is your thing and you can handle the many flights or inconvenient flight times to get there, Bonaire is insane.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
3. Re: Snorkeling

I agree. I moved here in 1984 and the snorkeling back then both on St Thomas and St John was incredible and is now nothing remotely like it used to be. So many reasons for it's decay but most people who visit don't know so it's wonderful to them!

Allentown...
reviews: 83
4. Re: Snorkeling

I'm actually in Bonaire now. If you're a die hard snorkeler, Bonaire is the place for you. Grand Cayman is a close second. As much as I love St. Thomas, there is no comparison as to what's underwater between the two islands.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Snorkeling

Still a lot of sea life to see, but it is a shame to see people stand on th reefs. All over the world this is happening.

6. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2014