We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tell me more about St. Thomas

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
tell me more about St. Thomas

Originally it was our plan to stay on St. John, but unfortunately with airfare being so high, it's kinda stretching our budget. My alternative thought is to find more affordable accomodations on St. Thomas and take a very long day trip to St. John one day.

I need to get a better feel for St. Thomas..I understand it will be busier, but if we rent a condo or hotel room that is secluded (is this possible) will we find peace and quiet? We aren't big shoppers or gamblers and frankly we love adventurous off the beaten path excursions with few people... is this possible to find in St. Thomas? We plan to do an excursion or two, snorkel, snorkel, snorkel, hike, and see beaches..

I figured that staying at St. Thomas may be cheaper too in regards to restaurant choices? Or am I way off and should I just go back to my original plan?

Geneseo, Illinois
reviews: 12
11. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

You can put in your check in and check out dates on Homeaway and it will only pull available listings.

Virginia
reviews: 66
12. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Hey Rocky, I don't know a site where owners can pursue guests (and I must admit that the thought sort of creeps me out) but VRBO allows guest to search for availability by date at any time and set filters that fit their parameters.

Have fun.

St. Thomas, USVI
13. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Another sight you can check out is www.mclaughlinanderson.com They have a couple of houses in the Dorothea area. You didn't mention if it's just two of you or not. Anyway, Happy searching! :)

Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
14. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Ok, we also plan to rent a car. obviously a car is cheapr than a jeep. If we plan to take it over to St. John.. is is adviseable to steer away from a car and go only for a jeep?

I see all these posts about taking the ferry over for the day to St. John, the cheap one for just yourself, not the car...but then how do these people get around St. John? Do they pay for a taxi all the time?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
15. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

You can get by with a small 2WD compact on St John for a day trip. If you take the passenger ferry over, there are plenty of taxis waiting at the terminal to take you where you want to go.

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
16. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

I grew up in Fox Chase in Philly :-)

Just got back from St Thomas, went there for a week for pleasure/work with my husband. We stayed in Sapphire Beach Resort at a condo I got on VRBO. It was a fantastic spot for beach and a great jumping off point to explore. We rented a car, ate dinners about half the time in the unit, half out. We went to St. John twice with the car on the barge. We packed a cooler and went beach hopping, it was perfect, the barge comes back at 7, then we would have a few drinks in Red Hook and head 5 minutes up the road to Sapphire. You also have a bunch of really nice beaches on St. Thomas, Lindquist Beach being one of them, practically next door to Sapphire.

I've stayed on St. John for a week, and preferred staying in St. Thomas. St. John was a little too quiet for me, frankly.

Edited: 4:21 pm, January 26, 2013
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
17. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

p.s. Rocky, have you looked into leaving from Atlantic City on Spirit Air? Their fares were really cheap, like 290 pp.

We left from Baltimore airport...drove the 2 hours to get there, but saved 150 per ticket doing it, and it was an easy drive, really.

18. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 28, 2014