We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tell me more about St. Thomas

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
tell me more about St. Thomas

Originally it was our plan to stay on St. John, but unfortunately with airfare being so high, it's kinda stretching our budget. My alternative thought is to find more affordable accomodations on St. Thomas and take a very long day trip to St. John one day.

I need to get a better feel for St. Thomas..I understand it will be busier, but if we rent a condo or hotel room that is secluded (is this possible) will we find peace and quiet? We aren't big shoppers or gamblers and frankly we love adventurous off the beaten path excursions with few people... is this possible to find in St. Thomas? We plan to do an excursion or two, snorkel, snorkel, snorkel, hike, and see beaches..

I figured that staying at St. Thomas may be cheaper too in regards to restaurant choices? Or am I way off and should I just go back to my original plan?

1. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, January 24, 2013
Geneseo, Illinois
reviews: 14
2. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

If you can find a vacation rental on the north side it will probably be more what you are looking for. Very peaceful.

St.Thomas
3. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

If you are looking for real peace and quiet, Marsha is right the Northside is about as quiet as STT gets.

Northof Boston
reviews: 30
4. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Check out any rentals in Estate Tabor and Harmony on VRBO- there are only a few, but we have stayed there a few times, and I think it has a very STJ- like feel... yet convenient to both Magen's bay and Red Hook ( and all the great beaches in between)

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 65
5. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

We too always stay on St. Thomas and spend a couple of days taking the car barge over to St. John to explore. We've recently started spending a few days before or after our week on St. Thomas staying on St. John - and yes, in my experience, STT is less expensive than STJ when it comes to restaurant prices.

Recommendations to stay on the North Side of the island are good - it is very quiet on that end of the island. I would also look at places around Red Hook. Depending on where you stay - once you get on property, especially at some of the smaller condo complexes, you don't feel like you're at a big resort with a lot of people. It really can be quiet and enjoyable. Staying near Red Hook gets you close to many dining choices - only a few minute drive from one another, easy access to the passenger ferry and car barge.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
6. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Take a look at www.vrbo.com for North side rentals. The Hull Bay/Dorothea areas are wonderfully quiet yet easily accessible!

Virginia
reviews: 71
7. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

North side is quiet indeed but most condo properties I've ever visited and even some of the larger resorts are bucolic.

St. Thomas vs. St John will likely save time and money. I prefer St T because beach access doesn't need to be a chore. If I could afford Caneel I'd certainly feel differently.

Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 42
8. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Check this place out, Heard from some folks today that stayed there this week and loved it. They then came into town and stayed at a B & B as a balance.

RL

http://www.hullbaycottages.com/index.html

Philadelphia...
9. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

Thanks guys, you've all been really helpful I'll start cruising VRBO and flip key for this area and hopefully nail something down!

Philadelphia...
10. Re: tell me more about St. Thomas

BTW- there isn't a website out there where vacationers can post their last minute dates.. and owners can persue and contact them to fill? I know that's weird but it'd be a good way to make us both happy...anyone know of something like this