We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

Bowling Green...
reviews: 342

We are staying by sapphire and wanted to do a big long beach day. Pack a cooler and spend half at one and half at the other. Is this doable?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
1. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

Not a good idea to walk as it's quite a long hike and the busy main road has no sidewalks (as is true for most of the island). It's a short drive and a taxi will cost you $4-$5 per person each way which is a better idea if you don't have your own rental vehicle (which is a much better idea)!

St. Thomas
reviews: 2
2. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

It is way too long a walk with a cooler for sure.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

Also, most likely a very hot walk.

If you don't have a car, rent a taxi at Sapphire and ask to be picked back up.

Smith Bay is a beautiful beach. We sat there one day and watch kite surfers for hours. They were amazing. Also, we didn't see many people there. It's a quiet beach.

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
4. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

We did the walk from Sapphire, it wasn't too bad - but you need to be super alert to traffic and even that's no guarantee you might not be run over. There were times we were squeezed up against the side of a hill with cars passing within inches of our bodies!

Also, it's blacktop and VERY, VERY hot. Lindqvist is beautiful and we stayed a long time. Took a cab back down to Sapphire, though!

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
5. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

I saw a gent making this trek and you can sudddenly be in a precarious situation when a vehicle passes at the wrong spot. Definitely not worth saving $20 - 24 in taxis for 2 ppl...

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
6. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

The OP never made it clear if they meant on the road or not. Looking at Bing/Google/whatever maps it looks if you go along the coast you can make it quite close, and then it almost looks like some type of path or abandon road you can cut through??? Has anyone tried that? Or better yet if you don't have a cooler to carry, how about walking to as far as you can go on Sapphire and then swimming around where the "big" homes are? I'm not trying to pass the small fee for Smith Bay as it is well worth it, but I just know I am a walker/runner and swimmer and it really does not look that difficult along the coast especially with that path/road that is showing up on the maps.

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
7. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

THere is a beach sort of path/trail, some over rocks, that we noticed on our way over, but not sure what it's like.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
8. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

I walked over years ago. It isn't a particularly easy walk and at this point you may be trespassing on private property to do it.

The two biggest problems I remember were the island thorn bushes ( I don't remember the name) and dogs that patrol the homes. I thought I might be bitten a few times.

I would not recommend doing it.

St. Thomas
reviews: 2
9. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

You would definitely be trespassing on private property trying to walk the shoreline from Sapphire to Lindqvist - and swimming it would be dangerous with adverse current.

You can catch the dollar ride bus/truck on the way back easily.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
10. Re: Is Sapphire beach to Lindqvist Beach walkable?

studmuffin: Next time you're here, give it a whirl and report back! Interesting how Google Earth maps have prompted a few people to ask similar questions about walking adventures which, from a satellite view, look quite easy. That thorny bush which Bill mentions is "Catch 'n' Keep" and is something to avoid at all costs. Its hooked barbs latch onto you and there's no way to escape its clutches without literally ripping your skin to shreds. Stick to the regular routes and stay out of the bush!