We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach similar to Sapphire

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
reviews: 1
Beach similar to Sapphire

My parents will be spending the day on St. Thomas next week and wanted beach recommendations. They have been there by cruise ship a few times and have already been to Magen's Bay and Sapphire. They really liked Sapphire but want to try something new. Is there a beach as pretty as Sapphire with facilities that you would recommend? Thank you.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
1. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

Secret Harbour would be an excellent choice. Gorgeous beach, very good snorkeling, on site restaurants and nicely quiet spot.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
2. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

If they are looking to go to a beautiful beach that has had no hotels, homes or any development at all then Smith Bay Beach might be a good choice. There are bathroom facilities there but not much else so they would have to bring some food and drink with them.

It is a chance to see a beach that hasn't changed in 100 years and there aren't to many opportunities to do that. The same authority that runs Magens is running Smith Bay and there are plans to add all the things that you find at Magens in the future as money allows. So even this beach will be changing in the future but for now it is as it always was.

Hurley, New York
reviews: 25
3. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

In addition, because of the "cooling trade winds", Sapphire is the coolest beach on the island. Secret Harbor is the warmest. Although the difference is not extreme and both are very agreeable year-round.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
4. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

The Trades have only started up in the last few days so not likely that next week will see much difference between Sapphire and Secret Harbour. As Bill noted, Smith Bay Park is a lovely spot but although they do have chair rentals, portable bathrooms (and security) in place, it's more of a "fend for yourself" experience. No fruity cocktails sporting little umbrellas and not even a simple 'burger to be had, so tote your own! If snorkeling's on the agenda, Sapphire and SH have that wrapped up - not much at all at Smith Bay.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

Thanks for all of your responses. It sounds like they are going to give Secret Harbour a chance. It seems to be just what they are looking for. Helping them look into this is getting me excited for our return trip to STJ in 52 days! Can't wait!

Hamilton, Ontario...
6. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

My sister her husband and 3 nieces 16,23,26 just went to Cocki beach last week in St. Thomas and loved it. If you like to skorkle even better.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
7. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

Coki is a very nice beach but if the parents are coming in on a heavy cruise ship day, Coki is overrun with cruise ship passengers. Lots of vendors and hawkers there - nowhere near as relaxing as Secret Harbour which I had the feeling they'd enjoy much more.

Northof Boston
reviews: 31
8. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

Smith Bay has chair rentals now? That is our favorite beach, we were last there in Jan 2011. At that time there was one Porta Potty off in the far corner of the parking lot and no chairs. Can someone update about current amenities?

Returning in Feb 2013!

North Pole, New York
reviews: 88
9. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

I think they would be disappointed with SH if they really liked Sapphire but that's just my opinion and they may find it to be very nice. Really can't go wrong with any of the East End beaches other than the crowd factor at Coki. Coki is a gorgeous bay though, too bad it's a heavy ship day for them.

Another option (if time permits) would be to grab a taxi to Coki for a few hours there early, then a taxi to Sapphire or SH as Coki gets busier. We did that on our first visits to STT and loved it.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
10. Re: Beach similar to Sapphire

Yes, there are chair rentals now at Smith Bay Park and the new entry road was opened in January 2012 making access very easy.