We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Bus question??

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Dollar Bus question??

Hello,

Our cruise ship will be docking at Crown Bay and we are looking to go to Sapphire Beach. I've read that the bus does a figure 8 pattern that starts at the University and goes by Crown bay docking area and drives by the road leading to Sapphire.

Where could we catch the dollar bus?

Detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
1. Re: Dollar Bus question??

The best detailed information I can give you is to take a taxi and forget about the dollar buses.

There are no designated stops - you basically hail them down - and there is no schedule. it's hard to differentiate a safari dollar bus from a safari tour taxi. The walk from the main road to Sapphire Beach is downhill, the walk back up is obviously uphill and it's steep so bear that in mind where your physical condition is concerned.

My suggestion to best enjoy your day here is take a taxi which will cost you $10 pp each way. That to me beats standing on the side of a very busy, hot and dusty road waiting for a bus which has no schedule and takes a roundabout route to get from A to B.

Whatever you decide to do (and whether you take my advice or not) enjoy a wonderful day here and hopefully it'll inspire you to come back some time for a longer stay!

St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 1
2. Re: Dollar Bus question??

Ditto STTResident - I take the $1 safari all the time when on STT and it's confusing for me at times especially as they look the same as the taxi tours and no way would I know where to get off for Sapphire. I suggest catching a taxi - much much less stressful

Pia

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
3. Re: Dollar Bus question??

echo: just a little footnote as you're new to this forum - Pia is a longtime St John resident, is on STT frequently and knows her way around here very well. The dollar safaris are used primarily (and are intended for use by) locals who don't have cars. Safaris also don't allow "baggage" so even locals who need to get to the store for grocery shopping in quantity (i.e. more than one bag) either get a ride with a friend or taxi for that purpose. Pia brings her vehicle over regularly on the car barge from STJ for such shopping trips!

Once in a rare while there'll be a trip report posted from a visitor who's stayed on STT for a vacation and used them to get around. They've had a good time but reading their trip reports is sometimes a little weird because their island experience has been confined to the limited safari route and they've missed out on so much of the island because of those confines. I know this isn't applicable to your one-day cruise ship stop here but I thought I'd throw it in if somebody who's planning a vacation here reads this thread! Cheers!

Charlotte Amalie...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte Amalie
reviews: 42
4. Re: Dollar Bus question??

For that matter, why Sapphire? You can just walk a short distance and catch the ferry to Water Island and enjoy Honeymoon Beach, or towards the airport and check out Lindbergh Bay. WI for the snorkeling.

I f you choose not to take the advice of those above, you will have to walk out to the street by Nisky Shopping Center, cross the street and wait there for the 'dollar ride' It will cost you $2 pp to get to Sapphire. Quite a task but doable. As long as you see local people on board, rest assured it is a 'dollar ride', unless by chance you run into a safari load of black tourists. Usually the other riders will tell you where to get off at Sapphire and walk down the hill. Back up as STT said.

RL

Ontario
5. Re: Dollar Bus question??

Taxi it is then.

Thank you all for the advice.

Geneseo, Illinois
reviews: 12
6. Re: Dollar Bus question??

Good choice, you'll have a much better day.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 31
7. Re: Dollar Bus question??

The $2 safari also does not "go by Crown Bay docking area." From the ship to the bus stop may be 1/4 mile or so, and there's no sign indicating where the "stop" is (they're not supposed to even stop there, but many of them disregard that rule).

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
8. Re: Dollar Bus question??

Just my two cents, but we took the dollar bus several times during our trip (2 years ago, returning next month) and it was fun! Scary fast, really hugging those curvy roads, but a blast. I sat next to a lady holding a chicken and it was hilarious. Although dangerous, we would sometimes just start walking toward Red Hook or wait at the top of the hill for the bus to come by, flag it down, and take it. You may or may not get off where you expect to...only do this in the spirit of adventure. Otherwise take a cab! :)

9. Re: Dollar Bus question??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 14, 2014