We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Hi ya,

Bit off topic, but it's to do with flying American to STT. AA were always good. Now they went bad and messed up our seating (which was correctly confirmed in an email from them back in July). DH and I are separated by 3 rows now. Calling AA didn't help. They couldn't fix it, they said, over the phone (but they could mess it up on their own!).

So, do you know does showing up early and asking someone at the airport check-in desk to help work?

Or do I have to ask the gate people?

Or do I have to become one of those annoying people who ask other passengers to please switch?

Thanks for suggestions!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
reviews: 4
1. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

I my experience, I have not had any luck trying to get seats changed when we arrive at the check-in counter or at the gate. The only way is if someone has not confirmed their seat or if they have empty seats. Which I haven't seen in a long time! The last couple of trips my hubby & I have been seperated by several rows on at least one leg. You can ask someone to switch seats, but don't expect them to give up a window or aisle seat for your middle seat. Would probably work the other way around though. I have switched seats (when traveling alone) so a parent could sit next to their kids, but only if it was for an isle or window seat.

Kansas City...
reviews: 7
2. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Try at all levels. Unless the flight is completely booked/oversold, you have a good chance of being able to get seat changes at check in.

Wouldn't hurt to phone reservations and give them your story the night before or day of departure.

If you currently have aisles or windows, you can always get someone to trade out their middle.

Good Luck

Boston
reviews: 17
3. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Did you go online to see if you can change it yourself?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
4. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

When you checkin online you can select the change seats option. You must checkin at the earlies opportunity as others will be doing the same thing.

Mike in Tulsa

New York City, New...
5. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Thanks, guys. No luck with the on-line check-in. AA stands firmly by their screw up. If it was my fault, fine. But we gave them $$ in July and all was fine.

I'd like to think everything happens for a good reason. Maybe I'll find out tomorrow!

Yeah, tomorrow :-)

New York City, New...
6. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

OK! Gate agent was very nice and cheerful & arranged with another passenger to switch with us so H and I could sit together.

Funny, we were the only ones separated. We saw the list and people with the same last names were all together.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Alexandria VA
reviews: 57
7. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

I've had my seat switched by other airlines after original booking. Usually, this happens when there is an equipment change, and the configuration of the new plane isn't the same; the computer moves all the reservations. When this happened with Delta (aisle seat changed to a middle seat), I called and raised holy h-ll. Unfortunately, you may never notice this has happened until you're about to check in. Good idea to review your reservations periodically if you've booked way in advance, especially if you get a notification of a schedule change. Delta has switched me from a non-stop to a two-stop flight, and I had to really raise the roof to get this changed. In both cases, I had booked using rewards miles.

New York City, New...
8. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Yep, equipment change is what happened.

We do check periodically, just to make sure res is still there.

Calling after their error didn't help at all. Tried a few times.

In the end the flights were good with good crew (offering lots of drinks -- too bad I'd set a drink limit on myself!!!)

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
9. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Thanks for reporting back after the situation was resolved. Most people don't do that. The airport agents really try to get everyone together when they can. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Mike in Tulsa

New York City, New...
10. Re: bit O/T - American Air messed up my seating, how to fix?

Hi Mike,

You're welcome.

Do you work for AA?

I like hearing and putting resolutions to stories. Or else the first part serves no purpose, either!

I was really disappointed at first with AA and their mess-up. I mean, it's AA, not Brand X. And these were Biz Class tix; we were paying AA for comfort and peace of mind. At the airport and on the aircraft all was perfect. I look forward to next time. Obviously!! :-)

Regards.