We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 11
One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Will have one day in St. Thomas this Saturday in a cruise...would love to shop in C.A, tour St. Peter Greathouse & Gardens, then go to Sapphire Beach. Is this too much for one day? Would Megan's Bay be better? Have read a lot of reviews that perhaps Megans Bay would be very crowded. Would like a nice relaxing beach for a couple of hours. Also, any recommendations for a nice lunch in C.A? Or beach area? Thanks very much!

Pine Island...
reviews: 3
1. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

My vote would be Magens Bay. The beach is huge, so even on cruise ship days you can find your own spot. There are also facilities and a bar. Our favorite beach on St. Thomas.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 16
2. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Magens won't be at all crowded with cruise ship visitors and neither will Sapphire as the only ship in town tomorrow is yours! Magens is absolutely gorgeous and the only minor drawback is the lack of snorkeling opportunities so if that's high on your agenda then Sapphire would be your better choice. You can have lunch at either Magens or Sapphire so no need to go anywhere else. Enjoy a great day!

Wisconsin
reviews: 53
3. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Sapphire or Coki. I was at Magens bay today. What a joke. I have been to many beaches and it shouldn't be world renowned. Coki was nicer to us as far as the beach and water go. We were unimpressed with Magens bay beach. Its larger, that is it.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
4. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

As mentioned in your other post, this is an opinion of Magens which is rarely if ever heard and, as I asked on the other thread, what about it didn't meet your expectations? And please don't mention snorkeling as Magens is NOT touted as a snorkeling venue.

Wisconsin
5. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

The view of the beach could be a beach anywhere. We all 4 thought that so its not just my husband and I. It was my girls also. The view was just "a beach". I know, I was shocked because all the hype, I expected it to be better or as pretty and nice as beaches I have seen on Turks and Caicos, Grand Cayman and Anguilla that are world renowned. Magens was no where near those beaches to use. We didn't expect snorkling and that wasn't a reason why we didn't think it was world renowned.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
6. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Well there are two things which can't be changed. First your opinion and second the fact that Magens IS a renowned beach and recognized by National Geographic as one of the top ten in the world. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations but there are certainly many more beaches to explore both on STT and STJ and hopefully you'll have a chance to visit them during your stay!

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 11
7. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Thanks everyone...your comments have been most helpful!

Philadelphia...
reviews: 32
8. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Although I'm not a huge fan of magens, I still think it's a beautiful beach. I' m into snorkeling and Magen's isn't known for that. I would never call it a joke though. I do think that quote was extreme.

It's a great beach for swimming,lounging,people watching and just relaxing.

Wisconsin
9. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

I never said it wasn't great for swimming and lounging, just not as beautiful as I had read or expected.

Saratoga Springs...
reviews: 2
10. Re: One day in St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach or Megans Bay???

Have been to Grand Cayman twice, and did not find any beach on Grand Cayman the equivalent of Megan's Bay. Interesting how different opinion can be.