We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brumley,Mo
reviews: 17
Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Eden Jewelers in St. Thomas. great place to shop. Very upfront with information and pricing. When they didn't have exactly what I was looking for she gave me suggestions for other places I might look. Tiara was very friendly and helpful

31 replies to this topic
MSP
reviews: 10
1. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

My wife purchased diamond earrings at a store in St. Thomas. They weren't the quality that they claimed and documented. they guaranteed that they could be returned. Her hometown jeweler confirmed that they weren't the quality that they claimed. She sent them back with documentation but they were refused by this jewelry store.

What recourse does she have to get her money back?

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
2. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

What jewelry store was it, DickWi2?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
3. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

No clue, DickWI2. Probably falls under the "buyer beware" umbrella. We have many jewelry stores here which have been in business for many, many years and have an excellent reputation. Unfortunately there are some store owners who set up shop here who offer less than stellar merchandise. We don't have a "Better Business Bureau" here but you can certainly contact the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs particularly if you have documentation to prove that the seller gave you a written guarantee of return.

I'll be more than happy to help you out if you have a written guarantee.

Edited: 7:06 pm, May 18, 2012
MSP
4. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

The name of the jewelry store is as follows:

Bella Jewelers

5332 Raadts Gade

St. Thomas V. I.

Thank you for your interest and concern in the matter. I am certain their are some very reputable jewelers in St. Thomas. She just got a bad apple.

My wife;s name is Barbara Hagen.

She does not have a written guarantee but she was told, and I witnessed, the owner telling her the earrings could be returned within 60 days.

She also has a written and signed appraisal of the quality of the diamonds which turned out to be a much lower quality according to her local jeweler.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated since we don't plan to be back in St. Thomas anytime soon.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
5. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Without a written guarantee (even a single line on a receipt would suffice) I think you're legally out of luck. Sorry.

Huntsville, Alabama
reviews: 83
6. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Interesting experience you had. My wife and I were just in St Thomas this past Monday and made a purchase at Bella Jewelers. We were and are very satisfied.

I have no way of knowing if what your asserting is correct, but it does not match our experience.

There are three things I take away from your comments. First, you do not mention what the quality was and what you paid. Was the price a good price for the quality? By the way, did you know that you need to haggle with stores in the islands. You never go for the first or even second price. We bought a silver ring with semi-precious stones based on the fourth price, which was considerably lower than the first, by hundreds of dollars.

Second, I do months of research before I buy precious stones such as diamonds or sapphires. I make sure I really know about the several different quality markers of a type of stone, going price, and best places to purchase. Did you do that?

Lastly, I would never put your full name on a site website, such as TripAdvisor.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
7. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Most of the stores in Havensight belong to the Havensight Mall Association, and in order for them to remain members and benefit from Havensight marketing, they have to offer a guarantee and abide by it.

Stores that are represented by "ShopTalk" also offer a guarantee, and I think the ShopTalk representative intervenes on your behalf if the store is one of her clients. I think you can google to find out which stores she represents, but from what I've seen in the past, her website isn't always current. You have to google, because I'm not sure of the exact web address.

You could file a complaint with the VI Dept of Licensing and Consumer Affairs as STTResident suggested, but without adequate documentation, it's pretty much one person's word against another. If you had an uninterested third-party who witnessed the guarantee, that MIGHT help your case, but it's still weak, IMO.

You really have to shop for jewelry with education, resolve, and a clear head. It's not a good idea to shop for jewelry anywhere without all three, IMO. And you need to make sure your documentation matches what you purchased, and any guarantees are in writing.

Edited: 1:50 pm, May 28, 2012
MSP
8. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Without going into all the detail regarding the purchase. It would be too long an explanation.

I can say that what Bella's certified in writing was not nearly the quality or the clarity of what was stated. My wife was assured that she could return the diamond earrings within 90 days for a refund if not satisfied. Within 20 days she sent them express mail with an e-mail explaining what she was doing. The package was opened at Bella's and then they refused the contents and the earrings were returned to my wife. She went to our post office and they contacted St. Thomas and complained that the contents cannot be refused if the package is opened but nothing could be done by them.

Finally, we are having them appraised and working through our credit card company. This seems to be her best route to getting satisfaction.

In response to your questions:

The price was a good price for what she claimed were the quality of the diamonds but they weren't of the quality or clarity claimed. She estimated the value to be twice what my wife paid which was a lie. My wife paid $900 and she wrote that they were valued at $1800.

The owner also came down in her price from the original price but they still weren't a bargain because her price was fraudulent,

I am very happy for you if you are satisfied with your purchases. Our mistake was in accepting what the owner told us and wrote down regarding the value and quality of the diamonds. Then she tampered with the US mail in order not to give us the refund that she had prommissed.

Charlotte Amalie...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

I'm sorry that you are having to go through the hassle. One thing I wanted to note on the conversation is that when you buy jewelry, it is a bad idea to turn around and take it to a jeweler back home or a 'jeweler' friend. If you truly want a piece appraised, have it done by a third party who in no way has a connection to a jewelry store. It is common if you ask a friend or someone who owns a store that they will put it in your head that you overpaid so that you will turn around, return the piece and buy from them. Which was their intent to begin with.

MSP
10. Re: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.

Thank you for your reply.

After our local jewelry store indicated to my wife that the diamonds weren't the clarity and color that they had indicated in writing to her, she did have them independently appraised and they agreed that they were far inferior in color and clarity they had guaranteed us in St. Thomas.

When Bellas opened the package and then refused the package, this only confirmed that they were fraudulent.

My wife would have been satisfied with the clarity and color of the diamonds that they had confirmed in writing but had lied about. Our credit card company is working for us on the matter and seems very supportive.

Reply to: Jewelry stores, St Thomas, USVI.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted