We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

Schenectady, New...
reviews: 1
Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

My family consisting of 2 adults and 3 children (11,10,6) will be staying at Sapphire Beach in late April. I have heard horror stories on service or lack of. I am fine with tipping heavily for better service. What is the typical tipping rate for cabs, restaurants, bars etc? Also, should I bring my own snorkeling equipment? I know it's complimentary in our package but I don't want any surprises. Thanks for any info you can provide.

1. Re: Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:59 pm, April 24, 2006
Warwick, NY
2. Re: Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

sniper - My family will be at Sapphire from 4/18 to 4/25. I have two boys ages 8 and 10. Maybe we'll see you there. Personally, I would purchase snorkel gear and bring it with you. I was told that as a quest at Crystal Cove Condo's that snorkel gear is free to use for the extent of our stay. I have also heard that they sometime run out of equipment. I would not want to use a rental snorkel, no matter how well it is cleaned! My kids use thier snorkel gear all summer long. You can find good equipment online for about $50 a set. I know LLBean has a nice US Divers set with a carry bag in adult's and kid's sizes. Buy your own equipment and head over to St John. The snorkeling there is amazing. Have fun.

US
3. Re: Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

sniper, re tipping -- do it at the same % rate you do it in your home town.

(You'll note "service" is included in your room rate.)

If you have snorkeling equipment, do bring it -- it'll be more comfortable. Of course, if your own stuff is so-so, then you're OK renting it. Or buying some. The chandler's in Red Hook has the best prices for good stuff. For even cheaper go to K-Mart.

Pinkcat

Schenectady, New...
4. Re: Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

Thanks all. Midwest, my boys are 11 and 10 and we arrive on April 20. Also trying to book a daysail on the new horizon. I think I'll bring two sets of snorkel gear with me just in case.

Warwick, NY
5. Re: Tipping for service and snorkeling gear

Sniper25 - Maybe we will see your there. It would be fun for the boys to get someone else to run around with. You may want to consider renting a boat on your own instead of doing the New Horizons. I have only heard good things about New horizons but I think they are expensive $125 per person. That adds up quick for a family of 5. We are renting a boat ourselves for a few days. For between $200 and $300 per day you can rent a 20 to 25 ft boat and go where ever you want. You can also get a cpatain for about another $100 per day if you don't feel comfortable driving the boat yourself. My wife and I did this with friends years ago and it was wonderful. The water is clear and the islands are close enough that you can navigate by sight. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the boat rental. email eric.roeloffs@kornferry.com