We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

Canada
reviews: 18
Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

Have decided to stay at the Marriott Frenchman's cove next march but read 2 recent reviews on trip advisor ( july4 and 21) that mention bed bugs which have me somewhat concerned. Just wondering about any other experiences like this. These do seem to be isolated reports and maybe they are confusing no see ums or sand fleas for bed bugs. ( however after experiencing bed bug bites after a family stay in a 5 star resort in Florida I am extra cautious- that hotel tried to say the bites were sand fleas but as a physician I knew differently and when I got home and read trip advisor reviews I realized we were not alone- thus I am sensitized to such reports) The fact that there are only 2 such reviews out of many is reassuring but just wondering about anyone else' s experience at this resort.

NY burbs
reviews: 64
1. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

I too read those reviews and share your concerns (we are traveling in feb). However with both reports, it was the 1st and only review with both reviewers which makes me very suspicious.

Canada
reviews: 18
2. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

That's a good point. Didn't notice that- although I guess a bad experience could lead a person to write their first review!

NY burbs
reviews: 64
3. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

Agreed, however I'd have more to say when someone questioned that it was my first review.....;)

Tampa
reviews: 11
4. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

Maybe the occurence was at Frenchman's Reef (hotel) and not Frenchmans Cove (villas)? The two places are often confused in various reviews.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 24
5. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

We stayed at the Frenchman's Cove last October, and there was no problem with bugs while we were there.

Springfield...
reviews: 35
6. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

As an owner at the Cove, I have been there for the last five years in a row, including just this past June.

I have never had any problems like this and I have never heard of any problems like this while on property.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
7. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

The bedbug issue pops up quite regularly but I've yet to hear of any actually confirmed! No seeums a/k/a sand fleas are the culprits.

oneoftheks
reviews: 3
8. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

This Feb. will be our 6 stay at the Cove and have never heard of anyone talking about having bed bugs, if I had I would not be going back. I can tell you the Cove is kept very clean and the staff is wonderful. I cant wait for Feb.

Edited: 9:01 am, August 24, 2011
Salisbury, England...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

Just returned from 2 weeks in a fantastic 2bed villa at the cove. No bed bugs or any type of bugs, normal high standards of cleanliness and excellent property. My son did wake one morning covered in awful red bites but we are sure it was because he refused the bug spray when we were on the beach in st john and as another poster has said, these sand bugs are too often confused with bed bugs and i think the bites can take a while to show themselves.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 37
10. Re: Recent reviews of Marriott frenchman's cove& bedbugs?!

There's an article on, I think Yahoo or AOL, and they say bedbugs HATE tile (they prefer carpet). Since most of the rooms in the Caribbean have tile, I think you're pretty safe from bedbugs no mater where you stay.

The article also mentions other steps that one can take to lessen spreading bedbugs, but I didn't read it. If you're interested, you can probably find it by googling.