We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Pennsylvania
reviews: 3
possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Is it about 2 miles or less?

Thanks!

Hampton Roads, VA
reviews: 69
1. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

More like 3-4 and there is not always a good place to walk (no sidewalks in most areas off of the airport property). If you are carrying stuff, it would be a little much.

Massachusetts
reviews: 12
2. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Also, there's nothing very appealing or attractive about the route. Can't realy think of a reason why I might want to do it.

Pennsylvania
3. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

My reason for walking is because there are 4 of us and we're on a budget! With only a backpack and one case on wheels each, we've walked some distance before and thought perhaps we could avoid the taxi costs.

Or won't a taxi charge much for 4 to the CA dock?

New Haven...
reviews: 18
4. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Probably 4-6 dollars each. Vans usually meet the ferries so you shouldn't have problem. I would have one less drink (coffee, etc...) while down there and take a taxi...it would be a long hot walk...

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
reviews: 14
5. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

seaidol

It is possible, but it isn't recommended and is probably only something i would do if I was in my twenties. It isn't safe, will be hotter than Hell, and doesn't save you all that much money. Also, the ferries from CA leve less frequently than from Red Hook so you may be there for a long time.

I agree with previous poster who advised saving money elsewhere,. Your time there is short so take a taxi, and be safe.

Pennsylvania
6. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Thank you all so much for your help. Now I know that this particular taxi ride isn't the one to cut.

Really appreciate the thoughts.

Massachusetts
reviews: 12
7. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Good decision. I always like to save a buck, too, but that's not a place where I'd want to cut costs. I think trudging along that route would turn out to be a pretty grim and miserable way to start a vacation.

Hampton Roads, VA
8. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

If you want to save $$, rent a car. You can take it to St. John where you will continue to save $$ driving the 4 of you around. The car ferry is around $45 RT and you will easily pay that for the 4 of you to take the CA ferry (plus, no taxi fees). For a week the car runs around $200 and you will definitely exceed that in just the round trips to the airport. We do it this way because we go for 2 weeks and the taxi cost for all of us would be crazy

Hampton Roads, VA
9. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

OOPS! Guess I assumed you were going to STJ, you could be going anywhere....sorry.

Pennsylvania
10. Re: possible to walk from STT airport to CA ferry dock?

Yes we are going to STJ!

Couple thoughts...one possibility is that we'll stay the first night on STT. Thinking about Best Western Emerald Bay.

Could we walk from airport to that hotel?

As for car rental, I thought it was $350 to rent a car for a week!

Is there a big difference between renting on STT vs STJ?

Also, to be honest, I'm concerned about driving on the other side. Afraid I might forget and it only takes one moment of forgetfullness.

Still contemplating this one!