We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I do in Christiansted?

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
What can I do in Christiansted?

I'm looking into traveling to the Caribbean for my Spring break (end of March).

I've looked up some options and am considering the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, and both the Virgin Islands.

I'd like to go somewhere that isn't just a touristy atmosphere and super expensive (I'm a college student with little money :P), but still maybe try out some activities I've never done before such as scuba diving or sailing. Does Christiansted have these options at a reasonable price (and what is that price)? What kind of activities are also available to do there?

Are there ferries from the U.S. Virgin Islands to the other islands, or what islands are best connected? Are ferries expensive?

Accommodation won't be a problem as I plan to couchsurf. I'm just a little worried about the price of doing things and also food, and I don't know much about the Carribean, so any tips would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
1. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

Same advice as on the St Thomas forum - look under "things to do" top of this page.

St Croix is 40 nautical miles from St Thomas and St John and there is no ferry service from STX to other islands.

New Jersey
reviews: 7
2. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

The usvi's are pretty expensive cheaper to fly to Puerto Rico than St thomas most of the time. Scuba diving is expensive might want to try snorkeling instead as no boat or expensive equipment needed, you can rent snorkel gear very cheaply. chartering a sailboat will run you quite a bit but maybe you can get on a group sail.

You mentioned couch surfing, what island do your friends live on?

Camping is an option on st john, probably PR as well.

Getting around/transportation is another expense to consider. Ferries , taxis etc. Add up. Food is more expensive but you can get creative with that. Deli's, happy hr tacos, that kind of thing can be more reasonable, actually cheaper than buying ingredients at market sometimes.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
3. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

Well... not looking to get into a debate with fans of other islands or areas but once you get to STX , it's hands down cheaper for everything than STJ,the Bahamas or STT. I say this from experience having been to the previously mentioned spots. You can get more bang for your buck on St.Croix,IF IT FITS WHAT YOU'RE AFTER... Flying to STT from the NY/NJ metro area will probably be the least expensive flight option. Do your research on your other choices and try to figure out what you want to do. STX is really not a spring break type of place...STJ would more fit that bill but you'll pay for your pleasures there. If you're into the camping experience, STJ might be doable for you. Of all the USVI's STX is our favorite. We like STJ but having been there a bunch of times we find it very pricey. We were there in July and went out for happy hour one day in Cruz Bay. My wife and I had 1 beer each and an appetizer, our son and his buddy had 2 drinks each and an appetizer and the bill was $79, before the tip...If you've never been to the Caribbean before the USVI's are a great place to start...You have to get there to find out what you like and don't like...Just get to one of them and have a good time...They each have their own good points and they are somewhat different once you get there and get over the wonderful views and such. STT is very busy and a bit more like the mainland in many respects. STJ is laid back but it has a more upscale type of scene, although it's beaches are the best of all 3. STX is laid back ,somewhat more affordable and authentic and fairly easy to get around, which makes for a really enjoyable trip. Good Luck.

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 87
4. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

Diving isn't cheap but you could do a resort course shore dive with Sweat Bottom as Carambola or Cane Bay Dive shop at Cane Bay. Or if you really want to get into it (for several hundred $$) do your classroom training at home and check-out dives on the island with the local divemaster. Equipment rental isn't too bad for a few days.

Springfield, IL
reviews: 3
5. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

Tons to do! We used this site to help us; www.thingstodoinstcroix.com

San Diego...
reviews: 2
6. Re: What can I do in Christiansted?

Forget ferries, ain't happenin', that's your mama's STX. You must pay dearly to flop from island to island Jimmy Buffett style, but it's worth it! Pick a hotspot and plant yourself there for the duration. STX is unbeatable if you're a DIY'er like we are, otherwise heed other's advise for $100/couple mediocre food, classic tourist trap cr*p and all the rest...Enjoy! :)

Reply to: What can I do in Christiansted?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted