We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix Newby

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
St. Croix Newby

We are thinking about checking out St Croix for a week in early June (hopefully before any hurricanes!) We've been annual visitors to Aruba and absolutely love it there. Our kids are 10 and 14 and are open to trying a new island in addition to our Aruba trip.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance from an experienced St Croix traveler on where to stay, where to avoid, etc. We like to primarily relax... a little bit of sight seeing, some water sports, sunset cruise, etc. We enjoy good food and good times.

Is the island safe? Are the people friendly?

How's the water supply handled? Is the water from a desalinization plant (taking the water from the sea?)

Thank you!

18 replies to this topic
Boston
reviews: 17
11. Re: St. Croix Newby

To answer your water question, there is a desalinization plant on STX, but many people collect rain water in cisterns so you would need to ask specifically how it is handled where you are staying. We have always used the water straight from the tap where we stayed (Hotel on the Cay) and have never had any problems.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
12. Re: St. Croix Newby

How does that line go in the Beatles song? "What have I done to deserve such a fate"? double aaaarrrgghh.....

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 85
13. Re: St. Croix Newby

We always stop at Plaza Extra or wherever and pick up a jug of water for drinking regardless. The tap water isn't always the best tasting depending on where you are even if it is safe to drink.

14. Re: St. Croix Newby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, April 23, 2014

407 area code
15. Re: St. Croix Newby

LOL. "Know how to make and eat gourmet food".

That's special.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 75
16. Re: St. Croix Newby

I agree with Lynne and ccrosner. They have given you the best advice here and I won't duplicate their remarks. Feel free to message me with any specific questions

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
17. Re: St. Croix Newby

Just came back to this thread to "Report Inappropriate Content"/Duplicate screen name and am happy to see that someone else has done this and that TA has taken care of our phantom toilet paper poster.

407 area code
18. Re: St. Croix Newby

Now my post above makes no sense... oh well.

Everyone please ignore it.

Reply to: St. Croix Newby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted