We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 11
Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

We'll be stopping at Plaza Extra on our way to Carambola to stock up on a few things. My concern is leaving the rental car with ALL of our luggage in the trunk in the parking lot while we shop. Do you think it's a good idea to leave someone on the car while one of us shops, or is this just being too cautious? THANKS

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
1. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

I'd take that chance when I leave an island, but the idea of shopping to replace all my clothing, bathing suits, meds, snorkel gear, etc., sends shivers down my spine! I really believe you would have no problem, but would err on the side of caution and have one person stay by the car or at the front of the store to keep an eye on it. I would do that anywhere I travel.

Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
2. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

I'd just make sure the car and trunk are locked and not worry about it. In all my trips, this hasn't even popped in my mind!!

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
3. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

We have stopped at PlazaExtra and a couple of other places to stock up and have never had a problem. By all means lock the car just like you would at home.

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 89
4. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

I wouldn't worry about it at Plaza Extra, especially during daylight, unless possibly you had a jeep soft top with everything visible. And don't look like a tourist. Bring some beads to hang from the rear view mirror.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
reviews: 14
5. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

How valuable is your clothing to someone else?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 11
6. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

I would agree that if you lock your car you should be fine. We have done this before many times without any problems.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
7. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

"And don't look like a tourist. Bring some beads to hang from the rear view mirror."

??????

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 89
8. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

Tourists are sometimes targeted, just "decorate" your rental car so it looks like a resident's. Something hanging from the rear-view mirror, some stick-on magnets of your favorite sports teams or maybe a yellow ribbon. Don't leave the rental car map laying out in the open (if they have one for STX, I never asked). Works for me.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 2
9. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

Scubadoo,

What do you do about the big "Keep Left" sticker that's on all of the rental car windshield on the driver's side?

We stop and shop at Plaza in Sion Farm on the way from the airport with luggage in the back seat. Never have had a problem.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
10. Re: Parking rental car at Plaza Extra - Safety issue

"What do you do about the big "Keep Left" sticker that's on all of the rental car windshield on the driver's side?"

Good question and thanks for the chuckle! I really don't think this is anything to be concerned about and I don't think it's true that rental cars are "targeted" more than any other vehicles. In three decades I've never had anything taken from my car while in a parking lot shopping or anywhere else - and although I usually close my windows in case of a quick shower I never lock my car either and it's usually full of "stuff"! I don't think hanging beads or putting up magnets is going to deter a serious miscreant but each to his own!

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted