We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on the Cay

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
reviews: 2
Hotel on the Cay

Hi -

We're thinking of a trip to Hotel on the Cay Thanksgiving week 2013. A couple questions..

Can you fish from shore?

I understand the restaurant is only open during the day, except a Tuesday buffet. What about the bar?

Is there somewhere on Protestant Cay to get water/beer/snacks?

Iguanas?

Any suggestions for best travel website to book?

Thank you!

Boston
reviews: 17
1. Re: Hotel on the Cay

Don't know about the fishing. Maybe you could fish from the other side of the island, but I would imagine that it would not be allowed by the beach.

The bar/restaurant is only open during the day and the bar can remain open until about 7 or so depending on patronage.

We always drank the water from the tap when there with no ill effects and there is an ice machine and a soda machine on site, but you can just hop on the ferry to town to get snacks or stock up on your way there.

We always book direct with the hotel.

Please read the reviews carefully, because if you are a high maintenance type or are expecting a 5* place you will not like it there.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
2. Re: Hotel on the Cay

I agree with Saffie , in addition, you can fish from the side of the dock or in back - I have seen people catch some nice fish.

There are several place to get drinks and snacks and the hotel has a discounted trip to a local market every Sunday that we usually take advantage of. If you do this I would advise bringing an empty suitcase with you. Once out of the grocery store we put the bags in the rolling suitcase an it is much easier to bring up to the room.

The best thing about HOTC is it is the only place in Christiansted that has its own beach. A short ferry ride and you are in the middle of town. The rooms, while not fancy, are clean with a kitchenette and most have recently updated bathrooms. We love going here!

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 30
3. Re: Hotel on the Cay

Ive been there many times and never saw an Iguana on the Cay. There are a lot of tiny, fast lizards which are 3 or 4 inches long. I believe they are endangered species. The HOTC is a nice, safe, quiet place to chill, and is convienient to many of the best places to eat and drink. The bar is very good, right on the beach, food just OK. The reviews are pretty accurate, the place is clean, but with the salt air maintenance is an issue sometimes, rusty railings sometimes, sliding doors hard to slide, internet not working, that type of thing. But we enjoy it also in its own quirky way. I hope to return soon.

KY
reviews: 28
4. Re: Hotel on the Cay

The St. Croix Ground lizard! Critically endangered unfortunately. Hopefully you can still see one but chances are you will spot some other type of lizard.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
reviews: 2
5. Re: Hotel on the Cay

Thank you! Still working out details - we always look for a "3 star hotel on a 5 star property". This looks great!

6. Re: Hotel on the Cay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 18, 2014