We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time at airport?

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
How much time at airport?

How much time do we need at the STX airport for our trip home? We go through customs and immigration here, correct? Thanks.

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
1. Re: How much time at airport?

It depends on what time your flight is. We flew out once at 10:00 in the morning and were just about the only people there. Last year our flight was 2:30 p.m. and we allowed 2 hours and used most of that time. First you check and then you fill out your declarations and then get in line and go through security. Not an expert on this but I have a feeling that the 2;30 flight is the most congested and I would allow the 2 hours ... remember you are still "on island" and everyone working is on island time :)

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 87
2. Re: How much time at airport?

That sounds about right. And it gets really fun when your flight is delayed 3 hours because the inbound plane was delayed leaving like ours was today. Not much to do in the STX departure "lounge" so be prepared.

Gaithersburg...
3. Re: How much time at airport?

We leave today on the 2:40pm AA flight. We're way out at the Divi so our taxi arrives at 10:30. Prefer to be early & wait than late!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
4. Re: How much time at airport?

I agree with Lynne - especially the Saturday afternoon flights it can get very busy in the airport and since they hand open many of the bags things can be slow. We usually allow for at least 2 hours at the airport which means leaving the hotel about 2:1/2 hours before our flight.

Gaithersburg...
5. Re: How much time at airport?

Our taxi picked us up at 10:30 and we got to the airport about 40 minutes later. We were the only ones in line and did our bags in minutes. We hung out in the international area and shopped in the little store there - got some cool stuff! Then walked back to immigration and customs about 12:30 PM (AA staff recommended that). Glad we did because they gave my carry-ons a real going over. I think a trainee was learning the process. That took a good half hour and we were first in line going through. As time went by we realized we were correct to come through early because the lines backed up significantly - there was a Puerto Rico flight, Jet Blue flight and an AA flight leaving around the same time (and AA was over-sold) . There was AC, snacks, restrooms and lots of outlets in the departure lounge, so we charged our phones and chilled. It made our departure less stressful. Thanks all.

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 19
6. Re: How much time at airport?

I would definitely arrive two hours early at the airport. One time we were in line and the people behind us and all the people behind them were told that they were closing the check-in desk because it was 45 minutes before the plane was taking off and that's when the counter closes for a flight. This was American. As far as I know we were the last ones allowed to check in and the plane took off with empty seats. It must have been an early flight as I remember the head agent saying that they had been open since 5:00 am and we should have been there earlier.

7. Re: How much time at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 10, 2014